Chapter 37 - The Eyes

Start from the beginning

"You've already tapped into the other two. They're more difficult and require energy but if done right they can be extremely useful to you. Maybe even keep you alive." Reuban stopped walking and watched something dark fly past before continuing.

     (Y/N) saw it too and took a few steps back. "Um- why are you trying to help me? And why are you teaching me all of this now?"

    Reuban shrugged as he continued to watch something in the darkness dart around. "I don't want to fully move on with a guilty conscious."

"What do you mean? You said the real you was gone."

"The real me is gone. But I'm still here." He spoke. Stopping to rest his arms behind his back. "I laid dormant inside your mind until now. Not sure why. But since I'm awake I'm able to move on if I wanted. But I don't want to leave you in all this danger."

     (Y/N) gritted her teeth and looked down. He wants to help her? He's the reason her life is so chaotic, excluding Ki and Akai. He's the reason her best friend is gone... She can't forgive him but if he's willing to make sure she doesn't die from Zankoku, she has no choice but to allow him to help.

"This may be my way of undoing half of what I did. If I could bring back your friend and so many others... I would." He placed a hand on her shoulder, apologetically.

      (Y/N) didn't say anything but slowly nodded. Anything to just get back to her family...

    Reuban turned to face the darkness and pointed out. "Focus over there. You're going to trap it."

"Trap it?" She looked out and didn't see anything. Did he mean the shadow?

"Instead of focusing on memory, focus on the brain. Do it quickly."

      She looked to him but started hearing the fast footsteps of something running towards them. Her eyes darted ahead and the shadow of I9 began to appear. It looked like Reuban but with the black eyes, hands, and tears she was so familiar of.

"Focus on it." Reuban held her arm to keep her from running. (Y/N) wanted to desperately run but she needed to do this.

      She focused her eyes onto I9 and just before it could jump towards her, her eyes flashed a bright yellow and suddenly I9 stopped in its tracks. Its black eyes faded over and everything around them became muddled.

      Just like when she accidentally did this to Zone 11's Chief, I9's memories began to appear around them. Memories of slaughtering, possessing, collecting, it all circled around them like a movie being played.

     (Y/N) kept her focus on I9 and tried not to look at the memories being shown. Not wanting to see Blythe mixed in there...

     I9 smiled widely and looked at all of its memories. It saw the particular ones involving its old Keeper and turned to look at (Y/N) sadistically.

"Y-You... know yo-u want.. to lo-ok~."

"Don't look, just focus." Reuban spoke. "It may be able to speak and move to you, but in reality, you're both as still as a statue. It can't move until you let it go."

      Reuban backed away from (Y/N) and watched her. She was twitching while I9 was motionless. "You can move now. Move towards my voice but don't let it go."

      (Y/N) sucked in a breath as she began to move away. I9 watched her with that same smile but couldn't leave where it stood. Having its own tricks used against it was so amusing.

     Once (Y/N) was far enough away and she felt Reuban place a hand on her shoulder, the man held his hand out towards the shadow. "Let it go."

    I9 stumbled forward and quickly whipped to where the woman had moved. She gasped as I9 started darting towards her again but Reuban's eyes glowed too and sent the shadow flying back as soon as the two touched. The woman widened her eyes at the move and looked to Reuban who put his arm back down.