Chapter 12

A/N: So sorry for not updating in MONTHS (has it been almost a year, I think...??), if y'all thought I'd dropped this book, nahhh... I'm just... Dealing with life :DD

Anyway, as I'm typing this, I'm at camp, but when you read this, I (HOPEFULLY) would've finished writing the entire book during my family trip, and I have already posted the rest of the book. Yay.

(HOPEFULLY** :DD)

[Btw, I'd advise yall to reread the book, seeing as yall may have forgotten it, and the plot will have a better effect if it's all fresh in your mind. <333]

~

Sophie

It was two weeks after Sophie got stabbed. True to his word, Keefe visited every day.

When all her friends found out, they started the regular visits too. And sheesh, Biana was fussier than even Liam.

In the middle of the week, she was finally given the all clear from Val to get out of her ward.

Another second in her room and she'd suffocate from the walls pressing in on her.

She wasn't cleared to walk, though, in case her stitches got ripped out, so she made Keefe push her to the hospital garden. Because yes, she was demanding and restless and annoying.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about something," Keefe said one fine day in the hospital yard.

"Are you breaking up with me?"

"What?" He asked in disbelief. "Never, I swear."

"Then? You have that look that says you've been thinking. I don't like it, because you never think."

He looked offended. "Okay so basically," he squat down so that he was eye level to her sitting on the wheelchair.

He looked dead serious, which was scary. "About your dad-"

She tensed.

He took her hand and squeezed it gently. "I could talk to my mom about it. Pretty sure you getting stabbed is enough to guarantee his entire life in jail. Then I dunno, you and Liam could make some arrangements back at base and stuff. Beats being... Well, beaten, every so often, doesn't it?"

She looked away. "You don't get it," she said softly. "The only reason why it's been going on for years is because we have men everywhere. Even in Torrel Police Department. We have people in prison, we have people in TPD, we have ex members who are currently lawyers, it's. Useless.

"Believe me, we tried. He always gets away. The last time Liam reported him about four years ago, both of us got beaten within an inch of our lives."

His expression was so pained, it hurt.

She touched his cheek and tried for a smile. "I appreciate it, Keefe, I do. It's just that it won't work. Anything that could've possibly worked, we would've tried it before."

He turned his face and kissed her palm. "I wish I could help you."

She smiled. Genuinely this time. "You are helping. Every minute you spend with me, I feel more alive than I've ever been. It makes me want to live."

~

It was another two weeks before Sophie got cleared for school again.

Honestly, it was only supposed to be two weeks of bed rest, but her brothers pushed for another week. Annoying assholes.

When she made it to Advanced Math her first day back, she was exhausted.

She'd already been continuously sore due to her oddly slow recovery, but a day at school and she felt close to hell.