Chapter Twelve

LYRA
______

"I will only ask you one more time," Alexander snarled, his voice filled with authority. "Where the fuck is the pup?"

Frowning, I placed a hand on my mate's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down. I hadn't expected for him to lash out like that despite his frustration.

We had arrived at the orphanage, only for Jenna to inform us that the pup we were here for was currently absent. Apparently, someone had taken him for the rest of the afternoon and she was unsure when the pup would return.

"Alexander," I whispered to my mate, low enough for him only to hear.

Alexander turned his head to glance down at me, his eyes charcoal. His brows twitched as he held my gaze, and slowly, but surely, the blue colour returned to his eyes.

"I'm so sorry," Jenna apologised, her head bowed. "I wasn't aware of your visit today, Alpha, or I would have ensured the pup remains present."

I frowned at her, unsure what role she played in all of this. Jenna was a nosy wolf and knew a lot of the ins and outs of the details in the pack, and I respected her, but for some reason, her vibes seemed slightly off.

She was a lovely wolf, older than Alexander and I, and had been the carer at the orphanage for almost two decades. The things she did for the wolves with no family was admiring.

"You will tell me every detail of what you know, right this instant," Alexander instructed, his voice hard.

Jenna swallowed loudly, her brown eyes briefly meeting mine before she nodded. "Of course," she assured. "Please, sit."

Alexander and I were currently stood in the living room of the house, with Jenna running back and forth between the open planned kitchen to retrieve us hot beverages. 

Once she had successfully placed two mugs before Alexander and I, she sat seated on the sofa opposite to the one my mate and I hesitantly took a seat on.

"I never meant to hide anything from you," she started saying, her eyes hard on the wooden floor as she spoke. "Aspen returned a couple of months ago after we had found Kai and told us he was the father. Mind you, I thought he was your pup at first."

I gaped at her transparency, but that was how Jenna was. She was older than us and said whatever the hell that was on the tip of her tongue, hardly caring if she offended anyone.

Alexander had known her for years, considering he had made her the main person at this orphanage. She wasn't a bad person, she just didn't have a filter— most of the times.

My mate shifted uncomfortably by my side, and I leaned my arm forward to place my hand in his. I saw him visibly relax at the small touch, and he squeezed my hand to remain calm.

"The pup is not mine," he corrected, his voice cold. "Jen, why didn't you tell me the second you found out about Aspen?"

I glanced at Alexander at his words. We hadn't even discussed the Aspen situation since we had found out, but he spoke so naturally as if he had known Aspen for years.

"I couldn't," Jenna argued, sighing, making me turn my eyes on her. "Believe me, I wanted to, many times throughout the years. And even more so when the Luna started to come around. I felt like I was walking on thin ice."