Chapter Eight

LYRA
______

What was ten minutes seemed like an actual hour. No matter how much we walked, we just seemed like we were never reaching our destination.

The further we walked in to the woods, the more my breath got caught in my throat. I pondered on mind-linking Alexander, to fill him in on what I was currently doing only for him to tell me how absurd it was.

But all those thoughts emptied from my brain as we approached the part of the woods where the younger pups were currently play fighting.

My eyes scanned over every one of them, there were about five female pups and eight male pups. Three of the male pups had blond hair, and definitely did not look like Alexander. Out of the remaining five male pups, three had auburn hair, again not resembling Alexander.

Before I could search the remaining two male pups, they sprinted away, play fighting. From their scent, I knew they were from my pack. Both had dark hair but I couldn't see what they looked like.

"Where is the pup?" I asked Jaxon, my eyes searching the area in case we had missed the pup in query.

Jaxon grunted, before he cleared his throat. "Oi!" he bellowed, his loud voice echoed in the woods.

My eyes scanned the now frightened pups apologetically, as I eyed their shakiness. The girls must have immediately known who I was because they gasped, eyes widened and bowed slightly. My heart sank, they were mere pups, hardly above the age of ten.

The two sprinting pups were now back with the group, and I finally caught a glimpse of their appearance. But again, neither of them looked like my mate. The pair had dark hair, with green and brown eyes respectively.

Waving at them to not scare them, I clenched my teeth together as I muttered to Jaxon, "Are you messing with me right now, Jax?"

Jaxon didn't respond to me, his eyes scanned the area narrowly. He must have found the treasure he was looking for because his brows twitched.

Nodding towards where his gaze had been, he said, "That one."

Frowning, I turned my head in the direction of his gaze. In the distance, two pups were play fighting. One was a girl with short brown hair, and the other was a boy, with dark brown hair.

I still thought Jaxon was being absurd, since I couldn't see the male pup's face. But in that moment, I honestly wondered why I was bothering with this in the first place. I was a Luna, this wasn't what I should have spent my free time on. I decided to visit the orphanage later to make sure that I hadn't just wasted the day.

Except, when the little pup turned around and I finally saw him, I gasped, lowly. My legs felt weak, and I stumbled back slightly, falling in to Ava.

The boy in query, the pup that Jaxon had told me about, did in fact look exactly like Alexander. There was no doubt in that. My wolf snarled loudly, but I was confused.

My heart was beating loud in my chest, my brows furrowing as I glanced at the little pup in the distance. He was an innocent pup, but I couldn't help when anger built up inside of me.

"Call Jenna," I ordered Jaxon through gritted teeth, my voice filled with authority.

"Jenna? The orphanage carer?" Jaxon asked, confused.