I laugh. I don't feel as uneasy beside Ravana now, though I do have a lot more questions.

"So, you and Lief, what's up with that?"

"Who knows. He's a very complicated fellow."

"So you aren't dating?"

"Kind of? Like I said, it's complicated."

"So you're technically single?"

Yeah, okay, maybe Lief was right that I would find him attractive too. Mostly I'm just teasing, though--he's very dangerous looking and he obviously cares deeply for Lief. I'm glad he can hear my thoughts at this point, it probably would be bad if he took the sort of stuff I blurt out seriously.

"Yes, technically. But I'm trying not to mess around for if Lief falls in love with me."

I snort. "He doesn't seem very interested in love."

"He is. But he's demiromantic and purposefully oblivious towards his emotions. He'll figure it out eventually, and I can wait as long as I need."

I'm pretty sure demiromantic is the one where people take a long time to figure out or fall in love. They have to know people a long time. But they can still feel sexual attraction.

"You really care about him," I observe.

Ravana looks at me like that should be obvious. I roll my eyes. It's not like I can read minds. I see him nod in the corner of my vision.

"Sorry. So, how is your business going?" he asks.

"Great."

He knows I'm lying. Obviously.

"I would be willing to teach you a little demonic magic if you like. Just a few showy spells to catch people's eyes. With Lief sitting in so he can verify I'm not tricking you."

I frown, focusing on the road ahead. I can see my car now. It looks to have some spray paint on it, but doesn't seem broken into.

"Someone gave you a new paint job," Ravana says, too amused for my liking.

"Let me check tire pressure to figure out which you should duplicate."

Ravana props himself on one leg and waits. I get into the car and check the pressure guage. Then I show him which one. It takes five minutes to complete the duplication, and then he sits and watches me change the tire.

"Can I hitch a ride with you into the city? I have to go to the store and it's hard to use magic both ways."

"Sure. I mean, it's the least I can do, right?"

"Yes. And it would be useful for Lief and I to know where your shop is. I can probably transfer the memories if I keep a clear enough head."

I frown. "Aren't mages supposed to have clear heads?"

I remember Lief saying something about his mind earlier, too. He gets in my passenger seat, ducking his horns, and I get behind the wheel.

"Yes, they are. But unfortunately, I don't. I think I used to be pretty clear-headed before death... Of course, I've always been very sensitive to stimulus so it is difficult for me. Like, clothing being too itchy and the like. So I'm sure I had trouble with that, but the inside of my mind is... probably changed since death."

"What happens if somebody else tries to read your mind? Since you're a mind reader?"

He sighs. "I have my hands full with all you mages and your questions, hm?"

"Are you avoiding the question?"

Ravana rolls his eyes. "I don't know, the last person to try was traumatized. I don't think there's too much going on in there, but I suppose it's a mess."