𝗔𝘀𝗽𝗶𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 || Leorio x reader

Start from the beginning

"That's truly admirable Leorio. I'm sure you'll pass the exam and thrive in school." Y/N comments, a small smile gracing their face.

Leorio blushes and rubs the back of his head,
Y/N's words making him bashful. "You're too much Y/N. How about you though? You sure have the work ethic for school at the very least."

As Y/N speaks, Leorio sips his coffee that's just been delivered to their table. "My grandmother passed away from cancer. Most people in my family dismissed it as something that can't be remedied, that it was just luck of the draw. Maybe I'm being naïve when I say this, but I can't accept that. Science has been the reason humanity has progressed so far, cancer only another obstacle for the human race."

Y/N looks up at Leorio who has his head propped up on one of his hands. "I don't understand why humanity has bowed down to this disease, brushing it off as just something that can't be cured. I'm taking this exam as the first step to finding a cure, a remedy, anything."

"I must admit, you're steadfast and prepared. I admire you for that, Y/N." Leorio muses, a light blush dusting his face.

"How's your studying going? Do you feel prepared?"

Leorio sits up straight and rubs his temples, letting out a dejected sigh. "To be honest... I can't wrap my head around the bacterial physiology chapter... no matter how much I re-read the textbook it just doesn't stick."

"Why don't you join me tomorrow? Bacterial physiology happens to be one of my strongest areas, so I hope I can help you even a little..."
Y/N suggests, fiddling with the hem of their shirt under the table.

"You'd really do that for me Y/N!?" Leorio shouts, causing half the shop to turn in their direction. "Sorry, sorry. I'd really appreciate that though, thanks a ton!"

Y/N giggles and shakes their head. "Don't thank me just yet, wait until after our study date to see the results."

At the mention of 'date', Leorio blushes profusely. Before he can embarrass himself by stumbling over his words, Leorio takes a large sip of his coffee.

"Let's plan to meet back here tomorrow then. Does the same time work?" Y/N asks. "Sounds good. I know you said to hold my thanks, but really, thanks Y/N. I had a nice time with you today, I look forward to tomorrow."

Y/N watches as Leorio stands and leaves the coffee shop, Y/N staying in their seat a little longer, lost in thought.

~•~•~ The next day ~•~•~

Leorio eagerly walks into the library, immediately looking over to the table they found Y/N sitting at the previous day. Content to see
Y/N assuming the same position, Leorio pulls up a chair while Y/N clears their scattered mess of notes.

"For someone about to spend a good portion of their day studying bacterial physiology, you sure seem animated." Y/N teases.

Leorio sheepishly laughs, trying to play it cool. "What do you mean Y/N? Isn't bacterial physiology the most amazing and interesting thing in the whole world!?"

Y/N reaches across the table and playfully punches Leorio's arm. Leorio watches confused as Y/N places their belongings on his side of the table, moving their chair next to his.

Too busy looking through their notes, Y/N doesn't notice the blush covering Leorio's face.

'They're so close to me... how can I focus like this!?' Leorio thinks to himself, trying his hardest to ignore his heart.

"You said you're stuck on the fundamentals right? Let's just start from the beginning then..."
Leorio struggles to pay attention, finding Y/N's soothing voice and studious demeanor to be the epitome of captivating.