chapter 1: an end to the suffering

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes the damage permanent.

~Marilyn Vos Savant

Alex's P.O.V

Darkness that is all I see, nothing but darkness. I can feel it creeping its way into my soul. 3 days I have been here no food and only tiny bits of water. I wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for Connor Wailand. The vial, cruel pathetic excuse for a human bean. He kidnaps tortures and rapes girls between 15 and 18 years of age for three days before he puts them out of their misery by bashing them to death. In retrospect today my suffering should end. But being the god daughter of the famous David Rossi, FBI agent and book writer, my suffering doesn't end until Connor Wailand gets his spectacular ending by making all my friends everyone I care about watch me die, I have already promised myself that I will make it out of here alive. That I will see my little sister Josie's innocent smile. That I will hear David's care free laugh. That we could be almost like a family again.

"Hello, Alexandra," he greets me as if he was greeting a lover. He switches on the lights; it takes several moments before I can see things properly but I know what is going to happen he cuts the tape that binds my feet together. Inch by inch he slowly unbuttons my shorts and takes them off his pant are off far quicker than I would of hoped you would think he would try to intimidate me be making this as slow and as painful as possible. He lies on top of me. I have had enough of this bullshit I will not play victim to his cruel way any longer. I kneed him in the crouch he reaches for the knife on the bedside table I head butt him. He drops the knife and holds a hand to his head. He picks it up and slashes aimlessly. slashing the tape that binds my hands ultimately freeing me. Punches are thrown and feet meet faces. But in the end he is too strong for me he has me pinned to the bed before any serious damage could be inflicted, on either part this time when he binds my hands he uses something he forgot about the first time he bound me the handcuffs attached to the my back belt loop, my handcuffs. He bashes me for almost an hour by the time he has finished with my harsh punishment. My arms have more bruises then they do skin, my face hurts and I am pretty much certain I have a broken leg. My team must be trying to save me they are the closest thing I have to family.

David's P.O.V  

"Agent Rossi, calm down. We are doing everything we can to try and find her," detective Mitchell ordered as if I was part of his idiotic team at Atlanta P.D. if it weren't for him Alex wouldn't be in this mess. He was the one who suggested we bate Conner Wailand with someone that he would fancy. But his team slacked off they let him slip watching him take Alex and now he is sending round the clock surveillance of Alex to the Atlanta police department and our team is taking it badly she is part of our team she is more than the BAU's intern she is my Goddaughter, she is a genius she is only fifteen yet she has graduated high school and has a fulltime internship with the FBI. "Try harder," I spit at detective Mitchell. I turn to walk out the front door but Hotch grabs my arm and drags me into the conference room where we are alone "David we will find her we have round the clock surveillance, on her she is still alive and she is still fighting, she has the same spirit her Godfather, she won't give in without a fight," Supervisory special agent Aaron Hotchner (Hotch) is like my best friend in the whole world he knows how to keep a calm head and he knows how to calm me down when I lose mine he shows me a video from earlier one that I hadn't seen. Alex is about to get raped again but she puts up a fight and the idiot lets her free she fights the man until he finally gains the dominance. Hotch stops the video but I know there is more. But they won't let me see it, it will obviously upset me. "She is still in there she is still fighting," I whisper trying to convince myself more than anyone else Derek Morgan speaks making me jump I didn't realize he was in the room "yeah man, she is," he comes up to me and pats my shoulder, Derek Morgan is your typical hero type but when a friend is in need he won't sleep until he finds them he has taken more than his fare share of beatings for this team. But he isn't all you see he has had a rough life I know what you're thinking 'nobodies' life is perfect' but Morgan he watched his farther shoot when he was just a child he has dealt with abuse, racism and several years ago his cousin was abducted. Nobody has ever found her dead or alive he and his family have never known what happened to her. It is slowly eating away at their hearts. The loss of a loved one is never easy but it is even harder when there is a chance that they might be alive. The rest of the team gather in the conference room with us and we go over the once again I look around at the team they all look as if they haven't slept in months they are all trying their best to find Alex but when they are this tired they are pretty much useless. I know Dr Spencer Reid is addicted to coffee but 4 cups of coffee in about one hour is kind of ridiculous Reid is the youngest agent in this team even if we don't call him agent we call him doctor he is only 27 and holds doctorates in chemistry mathematics and engineering he also holds BAs in sociology and psychology. He is a darn right genius. Next to him sits Emily Prentis she has had probably the best relationship with Alex they are like best friends, Alex has never been very social with people her own age so it doesn't surprise me that her work friends are her only friends. Jenifer Jareau (JJ) is on the phone to our technological analyst Penelope Garcia know those to girls I am willing to take a bullet for Garcia is the only one who has been able to make me smile at the moment and JJ her caring compassion has not been unneeded  these past 3 days Alex thinks of Garcia and Emily as big sisters but for her JJ is the one she can talk to about anything about boys about puberty stuff about all the things that are hard for teenage girls to talk to their dads about because that's how we see each other s a farther daughter situation nothing more nothing less Alex has slowly been adopting Garcia's weird funny fashion sense ad happy bubbly personality but right now I think that might be lost forever. I look at Hotch and he obviously has the same feeling I have. "Emily, JJ, Reid, you go back to the hotel and get some sleep Morgan Rossi and I will keep working for a couple of hours and wake you we will take it in shifts," they slowly rise from their seats and walk out of the room and JJ comes back "wake me before you go get her,"

we all nod and she leaves we keep working after an hour I fall asleep on the couch but am waken by nightmares what will we tell Josie Alex's little sister what will she think what if Wailand moves on to Josie after he kills Alex. No I can't think that way, my phone rings, its Garcia " hey Garcia," I mumble "hey Rossi, how you holding up," I can't think of an answer so I just stay silent Garcia understands and continues " you know how you asked for an address for Connor Wailand well as I said before he doesn't have a house or even a property but it turns out that this sick son of a b*tch was in jail for attempted rape and so after he got out he lived on his mothers couch for a while and so I digged for names under his mother name Spirix..." she completely blanked out on me her rambling didn't make sense

"and ?" I asked pressing for further information

"his uncle recently died the doctors say he over dosed but I think it may be forced, the house and the property was left to Wailand,"

that's where she'll be "what's the address?"

"309 skippied lane, the coordinates are on your phones,"

I'm on my feet walking to find Hotch "thanks Garcia,"

"you're welcome, just bring my baby sister home," with that we hung up.

JJ's P.O.V

"JJ, Emily wake up we found her!" Morgan was banging on the door of our hotel room. Emily and I stared at each other in disbelieve we grab our belts and shoes and bullet proof vests and run down to the cars Hotch is there and we are about to get briefed. "We all know that this guy is sick and a sadistic serial killer but we know that he is scared of woman so Prentiss, JJ you'll go in first followed by Reid and Rossi, Morgan and I will take up the rear got it, ok let's take this son of a b*tch out and get Alex home," Hotch said as Emily and I put on our vests belts and shoes.

We got in the cars; I was in a car with Morgan and Reid, Emily Hotch and Rossi in another. The house looked so peaceful sitting on top of a hill it had plenty of space it was surprisingly well kept it was quiet almost as if it was empty. We shut off the sirens before we approached our idea was to surprise him if we have our sirens blaring he had the head start he could kill Alex and run off. He had the upper hand. We ran up to the house I knocked on the door as loudly as I could "Connor Wailand, FBI, open up!!!!"I shouted. No answer but I heard a muffled scream it sounded like Alex, like Alex in pain. I nodded at Morgan and he kicked the door in and we enter Emily and I up the front trailed by Rossi and Reid and behind them was Morgan and Hotch. Everyone was looking in doorways following hallways but coming up empty that's when I heard it again

"David! JJ! Morgan! HELP ME!!!" it was Alex and she sounded like she was in pain we all followed the voice but she kept screaming

"shut up you stupid girl," Conner Wailand hissed. I heard a loud thud and I open the door to the basement to see Alex cowering in the corner and him standing over her knife in hand.

"Conner Wailand , drop the knife and turn around," Emily said in a firm tone even I would be scared of her right now he turned his head to see 6 guns pointed right as his face

"you want me to drop the knife," he asked in a calm tone with an evil smile

"yes, drop the knife!" I spat and stepped into the light

"okay," he threw the knife at the ground where Alex was sitting he was aiming for her head but she moved and it went straight into her arm. Wailand now turned on me he lunged at me I was too scared to react. A shoot was fired hitting him in the shoulder not a fatal wound but a painful one.

"We need a medic, in the basement," Hotch spoke into the radio attached to his vest. Morgan lead Wailand out making sure he steered towards Rossi "have fun on death row," he says "I hear they love child molesters there,"

We gathered around Alex begging her to be alive. She stirred a little but was losing too much blood, the knife wound was deep. The medic came down and they carried her on a stretcher to the ambulance, Rossi traveled with her to the hospital. We were all praying that she would make it out of their alive