I ran my hands through my hair as I got into the keke (tricycle) taking me to Fareedah's place, forgetting that I had cut and dyed it during the break. My lips spread into a wide smile as I played with my hoop earrings, hoping Fareedah loved my new look. I know she probably didn't see me in that way, but I wanted that sheer recognition. I had cut my hair almost skin-bald, dyed it ginger; and I was totally loving it. 

I got to her house soon enough. I collected my changed from the driver, then gently knocked on her gate. Her gateman peeped, causing me to smile warmly at him. He returned my smile, signaling for me to wait that he was going to go in and then return. I nodded in reply. He hardly spoke to me, and I didn't want to assume, I as a matter of fact felt guilty for assuming. But, I had a feel he didn't speak to me because he didn't know English and only maybe understood. Since he only every really spoke Hausa to Fareedah. 

He returned soon enough, opening the gate and signaling for me to enter. I nodded, giving him a small bow in appreciation. 

When I entered, Fareedah was busy with her phone, while a music channel busied the environment. "Hey," I said excitedly, but Fareedah simply gave me nod, not looking at me. "How are you?" I tried to ask, but she gave me the silent treatment, causing me to gently sit down, my legs pressed together in an uncomfortable position. I couldn't press my phone, because of how thick the air in the room was. I stared into the distance blankly, staring at her carpet. I just couldn't look at her face. I felt like I had done something wrong, but yet didn't know what I had done wrong.

After minutes of simply sitting, watching the music station and hoping the ground opened to swallow me, I decided it was better I left. But, I didn't get to get up from the chair I was sitting on, before Fareedah said, "If you care about how I am, why did you not text at all during the break?"

It was like I had finally solved the missing piece of a puzzle. Everything began to add up. but then, she also didn't text me. So, it was in fact a two-way thing. "Oh, is that why you have been silent?" I asked her, turning to look at her, only noticing then that she had been looking at me. I smiled faintly, watching the wrinkles on her forehead slowly release. "But you also didn't text me," I said with a shrug. 

She opens her mouth to speak, but then shut it as her face wrinkled into a confused look. She pouted as she folded her hands and looked away from me, curling her legs on her couch. 

I chuckled a bit, trying not to make it not loud enough for her to ear. "Okay, I am sorry and would try harder next time," I said, "I actually didn't text at all, because I thought you'd need your space."

She didn't reply me, letting us slip into seconds of silence before she said, "I think you look really good with the lowcut and that hair colour."

I felt my heart swell with joy and warmth, as warmth spread round my body, filling me up with excitement. "Really?" I asked with a wide smile, staring at her as she looked away from me. I couldn't help relaxing into her chair, curling my legs up.

She nodded in reply, not really saying anything.

"Thank you."

She nodded again as she turned to look at me, which made her smile. She had her hair in a satin bonnet, while she was in a simple satin mini dress. She looked so pretty I really had to force myself to look away, so she didn't notice maybe how weird my gaze was. 

"So, what did you do during the break?" I asked her after clearing my throat, while playing with my fingers. 

"I should be asking you. I stayed in throughout."

"Throughout?" I asked, looking at her with wide eyes, in surprise.

She nodded, chuckling. "Well, what to do?"

I shrugged, before I said, "Well, a stroll? Shopping? See a movie? Eat out? Self-date?"

She chuckled. "Not when you have social anxiety and don't do well around people," she replied, "And I sometimes fear people would recognize me."

My mouth formed an 'O' as I nodded, fidgeting with my fingers when an idea popped in my head. It took me seconds to battle in my head and come to a conclusion. "Maybe we can go to the movies together sometime? Hoping no one sees it, I mean."

Fareedah, who had begun to play with her phone, looked up at me for a while, before she nodded. "That is actually a good plan," she said with a shrug. "We could also try the other things you suggested." she smiled warmly.

For a second, it felt like she was asking me out, but due to not wanting to over think things, I simply nodded with a smile as I started telling her about my holiday. I did exempt the part where I spoke about her. 

A/N:

Hey, author Ebun here. This is both an apology and (maybe) a promise. I want to apologize for my very inconsistent updates, as I have been dealing with personal stuff. And I want to make this (maybe) promise in hope to update more. Due to the pride month, I would try to update once in two days, or consecutively. So I really hope you enjoy this chapter and enjoy more to come. HAPPY PRIDE MONTH, guys.