"…make them?" Sakura asked.

"Yes Sakura. There is some fear that River will use this to either up the price or back out of our trade agreement. Don't worry, I'll handle the speaking parts, your team is more of a show of good faith." Naruto assured her. The boys looked confused but Sakura thought it over. Realization dawned on her.

"Because sending the last Uchiha to this proves Konoha wants to put their best foot forward and trusts River country enough to send an endangered bloodline to the border." Sasuke looked a little peeved at being used as a show of good faith but let it go at Naruto's warning glance.

"Correct. Sasuke will be present as will Sakura. Sai, I'll need you in the trees on lookout for any trouble." Naruto got three nods in return. What he didn't tell them was that Naruto was the biggest play in the mission: the representative for the rice company originated from Konoha and knew about Naruto's Jinchuuriki status. Once he saw the blonde shinobi he'd think twice about attacking or attempting treachery, even with the samurai he'd no doubt bring. Once Naruto had read that part in his apartment while packing he'd sent Angel to stay with Hikaru for the week: the hell cat was strong for her age, but if he had to pull a full fight or draw on Kurama's chakra he couldn't be worrying about his partner- she wasn't ready to take part in this type of mission yet.

An hour and several traps and stationed shadow clones later team seven and Naruto could sense the approaching party.

'ten samurai- three officials' Sai signed, not that anyone but Naruto noticed- genin didn't normally know sign, much to Naruto's chagrin.

'Good. Keep a lookout- be ready for anything' he signed back. If worse came to worse, Naruto would have Sai activate the traps and clones while they ran back to Konoha, killing the people from River for breaking ties. By the show of force from River they had to be ready for anything.

The negotiators arrive in a fanfare. The man who ran the talks, Rai Gekko, a distant relative to Hayate perhaps Naruto mused, was looking out of breath from the walk. When he spotted the Uchiha he felt his spirits rise at Konoha's trust, ensuring that the village wanted to continue peacefully and could be manipulated. But when he saw Naruto, Konoha's Jinchuuriki and 'demon brat' he paled: to be sent on this meant that his life was forfeit if he attempted any bullshitting or tried to raise prices unfairly like he planned to before if possible. And the worst part? The third's law was absolute and if Rai broke that to warn his associates now or later, Konoha would retaliate full force as well as slaughter him and his family.

"Gekko-sama, it is an honor to meet with you about continuous friendship between our two nations. These are my teammates, Sakura Haruno and Sasuke Uchiha. I am Naruto Uzumaki, as I'm sure you're aware." Naruto said and bowed deeply, which for a ninja on a mission was a show of good faith. Naruto was proud of himself: the advanced diplomacy books Dragon made him read over the last several weeks worked. Realization hit him like a brick. He planned this all out the bastard! Naruto fumed, though his masked face remained neutral. Rai winced inwardly. By the last statement Naruto knew about his status, meaning the boy likely could use some of the demon's power like legends stated that demon hosts could. Time to play patch up and give Konoha what they wanted.

"Of course, Uzumaki-san, I know exactly who you are. It is a pleasure to work with you and your team. These are my associates, Dan Sasame and Hideki Momichi." Rai replied.

Over the next hour Rai received strange glances from his convoy. When he offered to double Konoha's rice supply and small discount in exchange for continued friendship and alliance in conflict, they turned slack jawed. But, there was nothing Rai could do: he preferred living and he was the boss, second only to the Daimyo of River- the man also knew about the Kyubi Jinchuuriki as he was visiting Konoha to offer aid before the third's law took effect after the attack and took the oath to prevent war with the country. Rai was sure the man would agree that angering Konoha at this point would be suicide.