Chapter 5

(Dipper pov)

3 Months Later

I can't face him, not knowing how horrible people like his family will truly treat me. I've kept up being part of this whole thing, using the money to pay for Mabel's medicine and try to make her more comfortable when I'm not there. Bill tries to talk to me but I never stick around for him to do so.

It isn't just because his dad can't stand me. It's the people like his dad. I thought for a few minutes that maybe no one would care about our different social standings, but then reality hit me in the face reminding me of the bitter truth.

I stand in the center of the room stretching as I get ready for my rehearsal. I've been coming earlier specifically so I can not talk to him.

"I have the feeling that you're avoiding me, Pinetree." I don't turn, already knowing that he's there.

"What do you want?"

"Did I do something wrong? Because I know that something is bothering you deeply."

"I'm just fine. And you don't know me at all."

"Is this because of what my father said? Dipper, I am not like him. He is why I am doing this, why I left my family in the first place."

"I know you're not like him."

"Then why are you still avoiding me?"

"Because he made me remember why I didn't want to try this."

"What are you talking about?"

"People of your class will always look down on people like me. People who have nothing. People like your father and the rest of your family. And whatever we might have ever felt for each other, it won't work. Not with the world we live in. I'm sorry, but it's better if we just keep things professional from now on. We should have never gotten any closer like we did."

"You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
You know you want me
So don't keep saying our hands are tied
You claim it's not in the cards
And fate is pulling you miles away
And out of a reach from me
But you're hearing my heart
So who can stop me if I decide it's on my destiny?

What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
Nothing could keep us apart
You'll be the one I was meant to find
It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one could say what we get to be
So why don't we rewrite the stars?
And maybe the world could be ours, tonight"

I finally turn to look at him, fighting the tears stinging my eyes

"You think it's easy
You think I don't wanna run to you, yeah
But there are mountains (But there are mountains)
And there are doors that we can't walk through
I know you're wondering why
Because we're able to be just you and me within these walls
But when we go outside
You're gonna wake up and see that it was hopeless after all

No one can rewrite the stars
How can you say you'll be mine?
Everything keeps us apart
And I'm not the one you were meant to find
It's not up to you, it's not up to me, yeah
When everyone tells us what we can be
And how can we rewrite the stars?
Say that the world can be ours, tonight

All I want is to fly with you
All I want is to fall with you
So just give me all of you
It feels impossible (It's not impossible)
Is it impossible?
Say that it's possible" He grabs my hand twirling me around before dipping me. I hold onto his neck to not be dropped, looking up at him

"And how do we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
And nothing can keep us apart
'Cause you are the one I was meant to find
It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one could say what we get to be
And why don't we rewrite the stars?
Changing the world to be ours" He pulls me up again, our faces mere inches apart as I rest my palms against his chest, able to feel how sturdy it is through his shirt.

"You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
But I can't have you
We're bound to break and my hands are tied"

I pull away from him as I grab my bag and hurridly pull my shoes on.

"Dipper-"

"I'm sorry, but his can't be and it never will."

I run out of there as fast as I can, pushing through crowds and weaving around people as I can't stop the tears falling down my face. I know that this has to be done but that doesn't stop the hurt that is rippling through me, threatening to make me just collapse is heartache in these very streets.

I finally get home and wipe away my tears as I head up to the attic. "Mabel, I'm home." I call out, setting my bag in a nearby chair and slipping off my shoes. I see through the sheets used to curtain off sections of the attic that she appears to still be sleeping. She must have had a rough night if she's still sleeping now. Maybe I should talk to her doctor about getting her a different prescription.

I go to the table pouring water into a glass and push past the sheets to her bedside, pulling her pills out of the end table. "Wake up sleepy head, you have to take your medicine. I think I forgot to give it to you before I rushed out this morning."

When I don't get an answer I sit on the edge of the bed reaching to her shoulder to shake it. "Come on Ma-......" The words die in my throat as I realize how cold her skin feels to my hand. It feels like ice. I roll her onto her back and instantly recoil in horror, the glass of water slipping from my hand and shattering onto the floor.

Her skin is pale like nothing alive and I see dried blood around her lips, blood staining her pillowcase. A small pile of throw up lays on the sheets near her head. How did I not see that until now?

"No no no!" I rush to her, not caring about the pieces of glass that are stabbing into my barefeet. I grab her shoulders, violently shaking her hoping that this wasn't true. Wishing and praying that it was just some kind of horrible prank.

"Mabel please! Wake up for me please! You can't leave me alone like this, y-you can't!"

I cradle her body close as I sob into her hair, everything that ever mattered to me in this life offically being gone in the blink of an eye.