51. It meant nothing-4

Start from the beginning

"Arre, why do you need so many temple visits? You used to say I am your swami, right? Toh tumhari puja meri sewa mein hai, come here I will show you how to please me." he said pulling her by her hand and she swatted his hands away

"so shameless you are Arnavji! I don't understand how you got me, you hardly prayed to God, don't visit temple except my birthdays or kids', you must have done a lot of good things in pichla janam (previous birth)." she said tongue in cheek

"whatever." he groaned and hid his head in the fluffy pillow.

"Achha suniye, Nani was saying we have guests coming for lunch today, her friend's grandson is visiting her and she wants us to help find a nice bride for him." she grinned widely.

"Has nani opened a matrimony business here?" he mumbled under his breath, but she heard it.

"so rude Arnavji, aise nahi kehte. Be nice to them, ok? And now get ready, I'll check on kids." saying so and giving him a quick peck on his cheek, she left before he caught her again.

--*--

Except Arnav who was working on his laptop, everyone was already in the hall when the guests arrived. And when they all came face to face, 4 faces registered shock, Payal, Siddharth, Sid's mother and Khushi. After Shashi's paralysis, when Gupta family had moved to Delhi, Sid's mother too had moved her house and by the time Shashi and Garima returned to Lucknow, she had already left. So they lost all contact in the intervening years.

"Namaste aunty. How are you, Siddharth?" Payal who recovered first, greeted their old neighbors.

"Payal bitiya, what a pleasant surprise bitiya."

"namaste" Khushi too greeted them as Sid's grandmother fondly blessed her while his mom smiled a little. Sid's face however showed no more reaction after initial shock.

Soon everyone was seated in the hall and immersed in talks, Nani asking Siddharth's mom about their Lucknow house, Akash talking with Siddharth about his work in Paris, but Payal had exchanged a nervous glance with Khushi. She knew this must be awkward for both Sid and Khushi.

In the meanwhile, Arnav had come downstairs too and got introduced but as soon as Nani mentioned these guests were Khushi's old neighbors, Arnav immediately realized who this was! His eyes immediately went to Siddharth who was fiddling with his phone, but his stance showed he was uncomfortable. Arnav then looked at Khushi who was talking to Sid's mother who seemed to have rekindled their old warmth and were catching up. In the last 10 years of married life, Arnav had learnt to trust Khushi, but he still wanted to ensure she was ok. So, he decided to keep an eye on their new guests.

Soon, Sid's phone rang, and he excused himself. When Sid left from there, his grandmother addressed Raizadas,

"Aap hi samjhaiye isse (you only convince him), he is still stuck in the past, says he has already loved once and will not do so again. Can life be lived like that? It was so long ago and uss umar mein ye sab hota hai, kacchi umar ka pyar (it was normal for that age, immature feelings)." his dadi said as Khushi stiffened in her place, which Arnav noticed too. And then she addressed Arnav, "Especially Arnav beta aap, Devyaniji was telling me you also never wanted to be married but you did, hain na? I am counting on you to convince my grandson to get married."

Arnav didn't know what to say, how to reply, so he only half nodded. But Khushi excused herself saying she needed to go check on lunch preparations and Payal followed her

--*--

As soon as Payal came in kitchen, Khushi asked her,

"What do I do jiji? After so many years, suddenly he has reappeared in my life. And after last time, you know awkward it was." Payal kept a hand on her shoulder comforting her,