Chapter 8

"Masks?" asked Christian.

"Check," Cristina replied.

"Sunglasses?"

"Check."

"Water?"

"Check."

"Food?"

"Check."

"I think we're good to go," Christian determined.

"Where are you taking me anyway?" Cristina questioned.

"That's for me to know and you to find out," he said mysteriously. "It's time to get out of this house and into nature."

The pair walked out of the house for the first time in weeks. There were very few people outdoors, but Christian and Cristina were careful to give any passersby a wide berth.

"I forgot that there are other people in the world," Cristina joked. "I haven't seen any in weeks."

When they got to Christian's car, they hopped in and took off their masks. They drove for quite some time, passing through Seoul and into the surrounding countryside. They finally stopped near a wooded area.

"So, it's come to this," Cristina said. "You've finally decided to kill me and bury my body in the woods," she joked.

"Damn, I knew I forgot something!" Christian exclaimed.

"What's that?"

"My shovel," he deadpanned.

"Okay, I deserved that," Cristina admitted.

They got out of the car and entered the woods. Cristina felt a little twinge of pleasure, something she hadn't felt for quite some time. Being outside, seeing plants and wildlife, breathing freely --- these were all things she had almost forgotten existed.

"You know where we're going, right?" Cristina asked.

"Of course," Christian replied. "I have my GPS on my phone. So, we'll be fine. Plus, I've been here before."

Sufficiently reassured, Cristina hiked on in silence, taking time to really examine the rocks and trees around her. When they reached a particularly rocky bit of terrain, Christian took her hand to steady her steps. When the danger was over, he didn't let go of it.

"I wish my dad could be here," Cristina said.

"Why's that?"

"He can recognize over 40 species of trees," she explained. "He's an arborist. So, he knows a ton about trees."

"How about you?" Christian asked. "What do you know about trees?"

"Ah, not too much," she replied honestly. "Listen," she said, "can we take a break? I feel like I'm starting to wear out."

"Sure," Christian answered as he dropped his backpack on the ground. He pulled out a blanket and spread it out. "I've got a surprise," he said gleefully.

Cristina let out a little gasp when she saw it. "Gimbap!" she squealed.

"And lemonade," Christian added. "And check this out, I even brought a couple of gourmet chocolate bars," he bragged.