Chapter 23:: Video Game Victory

Start from the beginning

"It wasn't a date?" Mom frowns, "How do you know that?"

"Well me, Ben and Everett kind of spied on them..."

Mom gives me a condescending look. "Continue."

"Well, how should I act around Jesse?" I bite my lip. "I don't know whether I should be angry or happy. Angry because well, he's up to something. Happy because he tried to kiss me and he wasn't going on a date like I first thought." Am I just over-analysing this? Were Jesse and Rita just going to the café as friends? Maybe Rita told me it was a date because she wants to be more than friends.

Maybe Jesse doesn't want that anymore. Is that why he leaned in?

"I wouldn't be angry at Jesse for almost kissing you, seeing as it wasn't a date," Mom advises, "But if they're going to lie to you about things then maybe it's time for you to be straight with them. Tell them you know that they're up to something. Tell Everett too. It's time that everybody is upfront with you." She leans closer, and kisses me on top of the head. "Face your obstacles. If they knock you down, you get back up again." That saying reminds me of the tattoo Jesse has on his ribs: of the eagle. When it rains, most birds fly to shelter. The eagle is the only bird that flies above the rain. The thought of that makes me smile. I think I know what I need to do.

It's time I quit whatever this toxic thing is altogether. If Rita is finding out things about me, then I'm going to have to be incredibly careful about what she asks me and what I say to her. And I need to confirm with Jesse that I am not helping him anymore. I don't want anything to do with building their relationship anymore. It's up for them to do.

As for me? I'm going to find out whether Jesse likes me, or whether I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.

He had to have leaned in for a reason right?

Unless it was to slip a tiny robot probe into my mouth to track all of my movements and slowly, slowly take control of my body and emotions.

I snort at the idea. Yeah, like Jesse's smart enough for that.

<><><><><> 

I brace myself as I knock on the door.

This is supposed to be fun, Lois. Keep a smile on your face and don't be awkward. I stretch my cheeks in the most elasticated smile I can force onto my lips and wait for Jesse to open the door; wait for the inevitable awkward encounter to occur. It's the day after the 'date' and the almost kiss, and I feel it's about time I faced my problems. So I'm coming as I usually do, to help with another one of Jennifer's physiotherapy sessions. She's having an extra one today. I think she enjoys them a lot. Ben is going to be with me, and I am going to make sure Jesse knows that I've quit completely. I don't want to talk about him with Rita, and I don't want Rita prying into my business.

Jesse opens the door.

The first thought that hits me is that he looks tired. His eyes, usually bright, are dull and worried and his hair is sticking out again in wild directions. He looks surprised to see me. "Lois," He swallows, "Um come in. You here to help out with mom?" He steps away from the door, and I suck in a breath and step into the hallway.

"Yeah of course," I nod, smiling faintly. "Apparently Ben is here too?" I kick off my boots, forcing myself to keep staring at Jesse in the eye, as if nothing is different. As if he didn't try and kiss me yesterday, and as if he and Rita aren't ganging up on me for something unknown. He seems all too happy to play along, and even offers me a sort of relieved smile. Was the kiss a mistake?

"Yeah they're in the living room. Anne is doing some basic stretching with mom, and teaching her how to use the crutches and stuff. How are you?" He eyes me carefully.