4.5 The Nina Project

Star sat up with a groan, hearing Nancy shout at Dustin. "What's going on?" Star asked, panicking when Max wasn't beside her. "Where's Max?"

"I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure Dustin is supposed to be on Max watch." Nancy replied.

"Yep. Yep, yep." Dustin rubbed the sleep out his eyes. "Yep. Yep."

"Where the hell is she, then?" Star wondered.

"She's right there, she was a second ago." Dustin frowned. "I swear I just dozed off for..." He looked at his watch. "An hour."

The trio rushed up stairs, Star signing in relief when she saw Max sat with Nancy's younger sister on the dinning room table.

"Morning, guys." Karen greeted. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. Everything is okay." Nancy nodded, gaining Max's attention.

"I think it's so sweet you guys are sticking together like this." Karen admitted.

"Could try sticking together at a different house for a change." Ted– Mr Wheeler– murmered.

"You know you're welcome here anytime." Karen assured.

"Thank you, Mrs Wheeler." Star smiled, moving to sit next to Max, watching as she drawed. Max smiled at the girl, taking off her headphones.

"Hey." Max muttered.

"Hey." Star greeted as Nancy pulled a chair up next to Max. "You okay?"

"Just couldn't sleep. People kept blasting music in my ears, for some reason." Max admitted with a joke making Star smile. "But Holly let me borrow some of her crayons. We've been having fun, right, Holly?"

"Mhm." The girl hummed.

"Is this what you saw last night?" Nancy asked.

Scattered on the table were drawings, filled with red, with some darker things drawn on the different papers aswell.

"I mean, it's supposed to be." Max stated. "I thought it'd be easier to draw it out than to explain it, but... not so much."

"Is that...?" Nancy asked. She pulled a drawing forward, there were two pillars containing a body each. Fred and Chrissy.

"It was like they were on display or something." Max explained. "And then there was this red fog everywhere. It was like a dream. A nightmare."

"Do you think he was trying to scare you?" Star asked softly.

"With Billy? Yeah." Max replied, she then motioned to her drawings. "But when I made it here... I dunno, something was different. He seemed suprised, almost. Like he didn't want me there."