3.4 The Sauna Test

Max and Star lay in Max's bed, El sitting by them. They were having another sleep over, all a bit shaken from their interaction.

"Which one?" Max asked, holding up a wonder woman and green lantern comic book.

"I don't know." Eleven shrugged as she squished into bed with them.

"Wonder woman all the way." Star stated making Max smile.

"Hey, there's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" Max said.

"It doesn't make sense." Eleven stated.

"What doesn't?" Star asked.

"Heather. The blood." El replied. "The ice."

"Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now." Max explained. "That has to be it. I don't know where that blood came from but... we saw her. We all saw her, she's totally fine."

"What about Billy?" Eleven asked.

"What about him?" Max wondered.

"He seemed wrong." Eleven stated and Star agreed.

"Wrong is kind of his default." Max chuckled, and to Star it seemed as if she was denying things. "But its nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked."

"Who is that?" Eleven asked looking at the comic.

"Well, that's wonder woman. The second hottest superhero." Star said dreamily making Eleven furrow her eyebrows.

"Who's the first?" Eleven asked making Star scoff.

"Bat woman, of course." Star chuckled.

"Do you copy?" Was the first thing Star heard when her eyes fluttered open.

The girl had somehow managed to curl up into Max's side, her face buried in the girls neck. Star's eyes fluttered closed again, groaning when the voice spoke again.

"This is a code red." Lucas stated. "I repeat this is a code red. Max. Do you copy? This is a code red."

Max scoffed as she shifted, carefully getting her walkie from the ground to tell Lucas to bugger off.

"Shut... up!" Max groaned, turning it off before cuddling back into Star. The phone then began to ring, making Max scoff. "You've got to be kidding me."

She carefully rolled Star off her and walked over to the phone to end its relentless ringing.

"I'm sleeping and so is Star! Go away." Max said about to hang up.

"This is Mike. Do not hang up." He begged. "Something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake."

"What are you talking about?" Max asked.