『0.4』

•••

Lan Wangji and Qianjie headed westwards, passing through towns and villages, hunting down fierce corpses and revengeful ghosts. They made sure to stay within Gusu Lan Sect's area of influence, uninterested in causing any trouble with the other 4 major Sects. Lan Wangji would constantly remind Qianjie to assist any civilians who were hurt, be humble when receiving gratitude, and most importantly—not to wander off too far. When they weren't night hunting, Lan Wangji would supervise Qianjie's training, ensuring that his body builds up the muscles he would need for his unique style of hand-to-hand combat.

At the end of their second month, Lan Wangji and Qianjie arrived in a new town. They soon found an inn and booked two rooms for a night. This town was fairly peaceful, having no recent rumours of wandering corpses or wild beasts. Hence, this would make a rather perfect pit stop for a break before the duo headed off to their next destination.

This town—which Qianjie had forgotten the name of—was filled with new and interesting things the bunny spirit had never seen before. Like a curious cat, Qianjie tinkered around with items he found in various stalls, smelled perfumes of unfamiliar aromas, and joined different batches of audiences in the viewing of stunts and theatrics.

Originally, Lan Wangji planned to have both of them meditate and focus on cultivating their Jindan until dinner. That was a total of 10 hours! He was not going to sit there, staring at the man who forbade Qianjie from making contact with him through the session. Qianjie would have died of boredom and lack of affection by then. Thus, after a lot of pleading and promises, Lan Wangji allowed Qianjie to venture off into town, but not after 4 hours of meditation.

After all that hard work, Qianjie was going to savor this adventure through town till his legs drop dead and no one can stop him!

—Until he noticed a lone figure sitting under the scattered shadows of the leaves above him, dotting his figure in fascinating patterns.

Qianjie slowed down to a stop, glancing at the youth who had buried himself deep into books. Villagers who spotted the youth deliberately veered away from him, hiding their lips behind hands and throwing him pitiful glances. For such a warm and lively town, the youngster seemed like a figure standing a million miles away from the dazzling crowd, shrouded in shadows and gazing longingly at the light.

Qianjie soon found himself beside the youth, crouching curiously, ruby eyes glued on his petite form. The youth didn't seem to notice him, seemingly engrossed in his reading. Qianjie glanced at the small stack of books that separated him from the youth, nose wrinkling when he couldn't recognise some Chinese characters in the title.

He peeked back up at the youth, who had his face caked like snow and cheeks coated cherry red. A lock of raven hair slipped down into the youth's vision, before it was tucked back behind his ears with fingers besmeared with dirt. He seemed to have finally noticed Qianjie's presence, as his cherry-like eyes grew wide upon catching sight of his form.

Qianjie's eyes crinkled into delighted crescents and his lips curled up into a smile. "Hello."

The youth let out a sharp squeak and flinched back—so hard he lost his sense of balance.

Qianjie tensed up in alarm and quickly dived toward the youth, securing a palm behind the latter's head and wrapping another arm across his back, pressing him close to his own chest as he took the brunt of the fall.

A book clattered onto the ground beside the two figures.

Qianjie tightened his jaw as pain flared throughout his four limbs. Swallowing erupting groans, he loosened his hold, carefully lifted his weight off the body below him, and flashed the stunned male a teasing smile. "Am I that terrifying?"

One of Many Days | MDZSजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें