『0.3』

•••

As dawn broke, the sky rippled into gradients of indigo and magenta.

Rising along with the light, Lan Wangji awoke from his sleep. The room was shrouded in fading darkness, subtle linings of light ran along the wooden beams across the ceiling.

Lan Wangji adjusted his posture to rise from the bed, before pausing when soft tips tickled his cheek. His golden orbs shifted, laying upon a fluffy ball of white, which rose and dipped with every light breath. Lan Wangji let out a soundless sigh, eyes softening fondly as he carefully slid his hands between the body and the mattress, elevating it enough to free himself, before gently setting it back onto the soft surface.

Like clockwork, Lan Wangji left his bed and headed to the bathroom to prepare himself. Then, he swiftly changed his clothes into ones that allowed for a greater range of movement and agility, packed up essential items and spare clothes into his Qiankun pouch, and secured Bichen onto his hip. The sun would soon peek its head above the horizon. It was time to wake Qianjie up.

A yawn interrupted Lan Wangji's thoughts and a voice, rich in timbre, brushed past his ears, "Gege? Is it time to go?"

Lan Wangji caught himself mid-turn and shifted his gaze back to the doors of Jingshi—as if he hadn't caught a glimpse of Qianjie's bare human form. Do not indulge lawlessly. He recited in his mind, hastily attempting to suppress the rising heat in his chest. Be strict with yourself.

Once he regained enough control over his voice, Lan Wangji reprimanded, "Do not present yourself haphazardly. Put on some clothes."

Qianjie took one look at himself, knowing exactly what had disturbed the Second Young Master Lan. Nonetheless, he obediently responded, "Okay."

Once both cultivators were ready to leave, they made their way to the entrance of the sect, where Lan Xichen stood—poised and elegantly—to see them off. Lan Wangji and Qianjie paid their respects, greeting the Lan Sect leader with extended overlapped hands and a bow. Rising from the bow, Qianjie grinned, "Xiongzhang!"

Lan Xichen mirrored Qianjie with his own signature prince-like smile, "Qianjie. Wangji." Both cultivators acknowledged the greeting with a nod when called. "When will you be returning?" Lan Xichen queried.

"In 3 months," Lan Wangji answered respectfully.

"Do you have everything you need?" Lan Xichen asked.

Lan Wangji nodded his head.

"Write back if you need anything."

Lan Wangji nodded again.

Lan Xichen softly chuckled, finding Lan Wangji's usual lack of verbal response endearing as always. He switched his gaze between the two and reminded once again, "Take care of yourselves."

Qianjie flashed him a smile and patted Lan Wangji's shoulder, "Don't worry, Xiongzhang. I'll take good care of us."

Lan Xichen chuckled, catching the fond look upon his brother's jade-like features. "I can rest assured then," he humored. Raising a hand, he reached over to stoke Qianjie's head—who consciously lowered his head for Lan Xichen. "Also, make sure you hide your ears and tail."

Qianjie blinked, his ears shooting up from their relaxed position. With an embarrassed laugh, he moved the Qi in his meridians and made his animal features disappear with a puff of cloud. "Sorry," Qianjie said and grinned up at Lan Xichen, "Thank you Xiongzhang for the reminder."

Lan Xichen smiled warmly.

"Xiongzhang." Lan Wangji said, catching both Qianjie and Lan Xichen's attention. "We shall take our leave now."

Lan Xichen nodded. "Be careful."

Lan Wangji gave him one last bow, before making his way out of the Cloud Recesses.

"Ah-" Qianjie let out, caught off guard by the suddenness. Quickly arranging himself, the man as white as snow gave Lan Xichen a quick polite nod and said, "I need to go. Goodbye, Xiongzhang!" With that, he bolted off to catch Lan Wangji.

Lan Xichen watched over the duo with a soft smile. He was thankful that Lan Wangji still had someone standing beside him.

•••