Chapter Nine

A/N: Advance apologies for how long this is gonna be (sorry

The whole school was on edge the next morning, Glisten noticed, as they gathered once more in the great hall. Many of the students, particularly from Jade or Gold, were either more subdued than usual, or oddly frenetic. The teachers themselves were visibly shaken and worried, and Glisten couldn't help seeing that neither Clay, Moon nor Qibli were there. Lightbringer was nowhere to be seen either. Around the perimeter of the room, the dragons who Sunny had brought into guard the school stood. Deathbringer, Surf, Peril, a big MudWing who looked a lot like Clay, an older SandWing with six claws on each talon, another, younger SandWing, this one female, as well as several RainWings and NightWings.

"Hello, students," Sunny said, her voice shaking, "By now, you've probably heard about the tragedy we've recently suffered. Little Truthseeker was brutally attacked during free time yesterday." There was a gasp from the students who hadn't heard yet, "Thanks to the tireless efforts of Clay, and our visiting medics, Truthseeker is still alive, and will hopefully make a full recovery, however his parents, are at least for now, unable to teach. So this is what is happening: Gold, in the absence of both your Winglet Advisors, will be joining me and the Quartz Winglet for Winglet time. Both Clay and Peril also have greater responsibilities at this time, so Jade will be overseen by Fatespeaker. Science classes have been cancelled at least for today, as have music classes, and reading lessons. History lessons will be taken by Starflight. We are also not doing flying tours for the time being, as we believe that the school is unsafe. Finally, you may have noticed, there is increased protection on the school, and the grounds will be being patrolled 24/7, and we want to take your safety very seriously, so if you see anything suspicious, please don't hesitate to report it." Sunny's voice had been wavering the whole time, and as she reached the end, her voice nearly faded. She ducked her head, clearly trying to hide her tears. Tsunami stepped forward, and put her wing around Sunny, glaring at everyone else.

"Now listen up!" she barked, "This is a really horrible time for everyone, so I really need everyone to work together to try and make this work. And if anyone upsets poor Sunny, I will personally murder them. So, my biggest suggestion is to do exactly what Sunny always tells us to do: take care of one another. Students dismissed!" 

As they left, Glisten couldn't help thinking about the huge thing that they knew. She was beginning to understand Rainstorm's hesitancy to tell the teachers. They were so busy trying to keep the school safe, and they were already frightened and upset. Would telling them about a mysterious threat make everything worse...or better?
***

"YAARGH! FLEE BEFORE ME, PUNY SCAVENGER!" Harrier yelled, "FOR I AM THE GREAT QUEEN OASIS!" 

"HA! You thought!" Fen replied, reaching out and tapping Harrier's forehead, "Die, big scary dragon! I want your treasure." 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Harrier screamed melodramatically, stumbling across the room and  sinking onto the floor, "WOE IS ME! MY TREASURE! NOOO!" The Jade Winglet was in history, and Starflight had given them the task of re-enacting the beginning of the War of SandWing Succession. Glisten wasn't a great actress, but this was a pleasant distraction from everything that was going on. For everyone, except maybe Waterfall, who was so terrified by the idea of acting that Starflight had only given him one line. Waterfall clearly wanted to get the whole thing over and done with, unlike Harrier, who was clearly enjoying his death scene. Finally, he gave his last 'woe is me' and lay still. 

"Oh no," Waterfall mumbled, "The queen is dead! Who will be her successor?" 

"Me!" Glisten said, as she'd been assigned to act Burn. She didn't love acting, but she was trying to make it fun, "I should be queen! I'm the oldest and the strongest and the toughest, and I would have beaten her in a challenge!"