SIXTEEN: FAVOURITE SONGS

Start from the beginning

Steve then reaches for the handle, but it doesn't open. The move makes eve roll her eyes, picking up a brick near a pillar.

"It's locked," Steve says to them, "Should I knock, see if anybody's home?"

"No need, I found a key," Eve says, holding up the brick and gesturing for Steve to move out the way. He does so hesitantly, letting her throw the brick at the door. Steve then moved towards it, reaching his hand through and opening the door for everyone.

The door was loud as it creaked, adding to the whole off-putting vibe, and the group entered slowly, looking around the deserted place, flashlights out. Max passed Eve hers, the girl sending her a thankful nod.

"Looks like someone forgot to pay their electric bill," Lucas joked, trying to turn on a lamp. This made Dustin turn on his flashlight, Steve then noticed everyone had one but him.

"Where'd everyone get those?" He asked them all.

"Do you need to be told everything?" Dustin asked incredulously - he thought Steve might have gotten used to the flashlights by now, considering how much they used them, "You're not a child."

"Thank you," Steve said sarcastically as Dustin handed him his backpack.

"Back pocket."

"This place is huge," Eve commented as she followed after Max, Max didn't respond, making Eve nervous, "Max." Her hand moved up to grab Max's shoulder.

"You see that, right?" Max asked quietly, alerting Eve that she wasn't in a trance, just quiet. Eve looked over to where her flashlight was pointing, Dustin and Steve looking too. It was a grandfather clock.

"Yeah," They all said at the same time. Nancy and Robin now joining them in the hallway.

"Is this the clock?" Eve then asked, "From the school?"

Max nodded her head, unable to get her eyes off of it.

"I mean, it's... just a clock," Robin said, "Right?" She walked up to it, wiping her hand across its face to remove the dust, "A clock."

"Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks?" Steve asked then, staring at it intently as he tried to connect the dots, "Maybe he's like, a clockmaker or something?"

"I think you cracked the case, Steve," Dustin said sarcastically, making Eve let out a small laugh.

"He's done it again!" She said sarcastically, adding to Dustin's comment.

"All I know is the answers are here, somewhere," Nancy says to them, "Everyone stay in groups of two. Robin? Upstairs."

Robin nodded, the rest of the gang looking at each other, trying to figure out where to go.

"Come on," Max taps Eve's arm as she walks past, leading Eve down into the old living room. Lucas goes to follow, but Dustin stops him.

"Let them have a moment," Dustin whispered to him, "Come with me and Steve."

Back in the living room, Eve was shining her light at a new piano. She could hear Kate Bush through Max's headphones when it suddenly stopped. She turned to Max quickly, seeing her messing with the walkman, rewinding the tape.