chapter six

Dustin had prepared the computer meanwhile you and Max had told Steve and Robin about last night. Max explained how terrified Eddie looked when he ran out of the house. Steve had said some comforting words to you about Chrissy's death. Now Robin, Dustin and Max were calling around, trying to find out where Eddie had disappeared to last night.

Max found a lead and explained that Eddie apparently got his drugs from someone called Reefer Rick, and sometimes crashed there when needed. She explained that no one knew where he lived, that this 'Reefer Rick' was more of a 'legend' than someone that people actually knew. Steve assumed that the cops probably had busted him at some point and that he was probably in their system. He suggested going to the police.

Dustin pointed out that you and Steve believed that he was guilty, you didn't reply, but Steve said that you guys couldn't exactly rule it out. Dustin and Steve argued for a moment before Robin sat down in front of the computer. She had an idea, and started to narrow down all the potential Ricks in the store's computer system.

Rick Lipton. He lived by Lover's Lake. Perfect place to hide.

It was already dark when you arrived at the location. No one answered when Dustin rang the doorbell and shouted Eddie's name. 

"Hey, guys?" Max shouted. She was shining her flashlight at another building further away in the yard right down by the lake. The group carefully snuck through the door and started to look around inside the open building. It was more of a big shed, the opposite side of the entrance had an opening for boats, exposing the lake. 

Steve grabbed an oar as he slowly walked toward a boat to poke the plastic that was wrapped over it. "He might be there," he explained.

"So take the tarp off!" Dustin yelled.

"If you are so brave, you take the tarp off." Steve growled back. Maxine pointed out a couple of bottles on a table to be a sign of someone staying here. 

Robin nodded. "Maybe he heard us. Got spooked and ran."

"Don't worry. Steve will get him with his oar." Dustin commented and you bit your tongue, trying not to smile at the joke. 

Steve was not amused. "I know you think you're being funny, Henderson, but considering everyone in this room has nearly died a hundred times, personally, I don't find it funny in the slightest-"

Suddenly a man flew up from where he had been hiding under some tarps in a boat. He knocked Steve against a wall as Steve shouted for him to wait.

"Whoa whoa whoa, Eddie stop!" Dustin screamed. You followed him toward Eddie. "Eddie! Eddie!"

Eddie held a smashed beer bottle close against Steve's neck, pushing the sharp edge onto his skin.

"Eddie, it's me, it's Dustin. This is Steve. He's not going to hurt you, right Steve? Drop the oar, Steve."

Steve followed Dustin's order reluctantly. 

"What are you doing here?" Eddie asked under his breath. His eyes were wide and wild. 

"We're looking for you." Dustin explained. 

"We're here to help." You added softly, trying to hide the stress in your voice. Eddie gave you a quick glance, just realizing that you also were there.

"These are my friends," Dustin continued. "You know Robin, from the band. Max, the one who never plays D&D. (Y/N), the kind cheerleader. Eddie, we're on your side. I swear on my mother!" You all agreed to swear on Dustin's mom.

Eddie finally let go of Steve. He turned away from him and leaned against the wall behind himself, slowly crouching down to sit on the floor and catch his breath.