Chapter 8: Oops, A Witches Duel

The next morning was the usual routine, except that Luz decided not to drink her elixir today. She decided she would only drink it if she needed it, she had a limited amount and didn't know when she would be able to sneak off to get more, or even where she should get more. When she went downstairs Eda was playing a card game with Owlbert, she looked up when Luz entered "breakfast is on the kitchen table, King's already in there." She informed, turning back to the game.

Luz thanked her and entered the kitchen, sitting down and eating the food. After she was done she and King made their way into the living room just in time to see Eda beat Owlbert at the card game "ha!" Eda cheered as Luz sat down on the couch and King curled up next to her. "Alright you guys, we're setting up the stand today and you are all coming with." She put the deck of cards away with a spell, King groaned in annoyance but otherwise didn't comment.

It wasn't too long later when they started to set up the stand, which wasn't too hard because of Eda's magic. Luz had brought the first book of The Good Witch Azura that she found yesterday with her to pass the time. She also brought the dagger she accidentally stole from Hexside, you never know when you might need it. King demanded her to read the book out loud to cure his boredom, to which she complied.

"Emboldened by the dishonor Hecate had shown, Azura lifted her staff to the cotton-candy skies and shouted, "I challenge you to a Witch's Duel!"" Luz read "show me the picture!" King demanded, she turned the book for King to see "I can draw better than that!" He stated confidently. Luz rolled her eyes playfully before continuing to read, but before she could Eda interrupted.

"Ugh! Please stop reading that. Its flowery language is an insult to witches and driving away all of our serious customers!" Luz stared at her for a moment before replying. "Um, Eda? What customers? There aren't even any other stands around." She pointed out, gesturing to the empty street around them.

"This is a bad omen. There must be something horrible happening today." Eda replied, just then Gus and Willow ran up to the stand. "Luz! Something amazing is happening today!" Gus exclaimed. "Gus, Willow, hey!" Luz waved, Eda and King shared a confused look.

Luz noticed and quickly came up with an explanation. "Eda this is Willow and Gus. I met them a couple days ago on that walk in the woods, guess I forgot to mention I made two friends." She smiled nervously as Willow nodded and Gus was about to correct her when Willow elbowed him.

Willow held up a flyer "Anyways, It's the annual Covention! Student witches get to see all the types of covens before they're placed in one. There's even a mystery guest this year!" Luz hummed, she'd been to one before. Granted it was just to stand there and make sure nothing went wrong. "Sounds like fun."

"Absolutely not." Eda cut in, Luz looked up at the Owl Lady a frown on her face. "I never joined a coven for a reason. Sure it's like a fun club for witches, but you're also giving up your magical independence to be part of a crooked system." Eda said, slamming her fist on the table, making Luz jump.

"Eh, but, you know, no judgment. In any case, I haven't been to one since we were girls." Luz qurked a brow "we? Do I smell a backstory?" She questioned, putting her elbows on the table and crossing her arms. "I-- the-- I mean--" Eda shook her head and crossed her arms "no."

"You leave me no choice, I will get that backstory or go to the Covention. I will find a way." Luz said. Eda groaned in annoyance "fffiiiine, we'll go to the Covention." She grumbled. Luz pumped a fist in victory and gave a thumbs up to her friends who returned the thumbs up.

They packed the stand up and headed off to the building. King sat on Eda's shoulder, the three teens a little ways ahead. "I got switched to the plant track because Principal Bump was impressed by 'my' skills." Willow did air quotes, Luz nodded in understanding and Gus looked confused. "At least you get to do what you love now." Willow smiled "and I have you to thank for that."