9- End

Monday morning, Temari opened her locker to find a note on top of his indoor shoes. She stared at it curiously for a few seconds before pulling it out, noting the lazy scrawl of her name on one side. She grinned when she recognized the handwriting as being her boyfriend's, though he'd never admit to that title. She knew what the note meant. He'd chosen her over the blond bastard who always tried to steal her love's attention from her. She opened it up and scanned the note.

Temari,
Meet me on the roof today at lunch. I have to tell you something important. Come alone.
Shikamaru

She grew giddy as she reread it over and over again, squeezing the paper against her chest in excitement. He'd finally decided to confess his undying love for her. She wouldn't have to resort to such lowbrow tactics anymore.

The entire morning, she could barely focus, anxiety coursing through her as she imagined every possible scenario she could think of as to how her love would confess to her, and how she'd respond to each.

~

At lunchtime, Shikamaru grabbed Naruto's wrist and dragged the blond up to the roof. He gave the other teen a devilish smirk that promised naughty things, causing the blond to blush furiously. He couldn't wait for what his lover had planned. They both hurried up to the roof and sat down on a picnic blanket the brunette had laid out that morning. Instead of food though, he had planned on devouring the blond in front of him. The second both boys had sat down on the blanket, Shikamaru pulled Naruto onto his lap, ravaging his lips. The attack took Naruto by surprise and he gasped, giving his lover the perfect opportunity to plunge his tongue into the wet cavern and plunder the blond's mouth. The blond tangled his fingers in the spiky ponytail, returning the kiss with just as much fervor. He felt cool hands sliding under his untucked uniform shirt, sending pleasant shivers up his spine. A quiet moan left his mouth when calloused fingers pulled pert buds, though it was swallowed by the pair of lips pressed to his own.

He was so buried in the sensations, he didn't hear when the rooftop door opened, nor the startled gasp that left the intruder's lips. The brunette did, however. He opened his eyes to look at the third person on the roof, though he didn't pause in his ministrations of the blond. He stared into the teary eyes of a girl with spiky, blonde hair in four ponytails, her hand over her mouth in shock. He smirked into the kiss, and only pulled away when he was in need of air. He wrapped his arms around the boy's waist as he looked up at the girl. The blonde girl stared at him, tears slowly falling down her cheeks.

"Why?" Temari asked in a whisper. She couldn't understand why her love was doing this to her.

"I don't love you, Temari," the brunette stated bluntly after catching his breath. He felt Naruto tense in his lap, causing him to tighten his hold on the boy he loved. "I never have. I'm not sure when your delusions started that I was yours, but they need to end. This was the only way I could get you to back off once and for all. If you saw me with the one I love, I hoped it would finally get across to you that I don't and can't return your feelings. I never will, and you need to find someone else. Leave Naruto alone, and don't try to trick him with such shameless tactics as you did."

"We were perfect though! You always looked at me, paid attention to me! When did you change?!" Temari screeched, finally finding her voice.

"I never changed," he said calmly. He stared into Naruto's eyes with adoration shining in his own. "The only thing that changed was my unrequited love finally came true." He gave a soft smile and rested his hand on Naruto's cheek, earning a smile as the blond leaned into the touch. "Did you know if two idiots fall in love with each other without knowing of the other's feelings they can both get Hanahaki? That's what happened to us. It took landing in the hospital with my crush to finally realize we felt the same way. Now I'm never letting him go, and nobody can get in the way of that, no even you, Temari.  Please move on so you can be happy too." He looked up at the girl and gave her a final smile before returning his attention to his blond lover.

Upon seeing the look the brunette was giving the boy in his lap, Temari knew what he said was the truth. He truly was in love with Naruto, and there was absolutely nothing she could do to stop it. Her heart shattered, she slowly left the rooftop, tears staining her face.

Naruto couldn't help feeling slightly guilty. He knew of Temari's feelings, yet he couldn't stop himself falling in love with Shikamaru. He buried his head in the brunette's shoulder when he felt something soft land on his head. He pulled it off and looked at it, surprised to see a yellow flower petal. He looked up as millions more floated passed, carried off by the slight breeze. He smiled at the peaceful sight, turning his head to Shikamaru and giving him a passionate kiss filled with all the things he could never bring himself to say out loud. They knew the journey wouldn't be an easy one, but they were willing to face it together.

They made love on the school roof that day, surrounded by flower petals on the wind.