Chapter 4 - A Challenge

Start from the beginning

He chuckles, a grin growing on his features. "I'm glad you wore the pendant I got. It reminded me of your eyes. It's very beautiful."

Leave it to Ash to say things with weight he surely has to be aware of. She decides to not make it embarrassingly obvious how much she adores the compliment. Instead of a blush warming her cheeks, she gets closer to him, letting her fingers go through his hair. She takes great pleasure in the fact Ash watches her every move.

"Someone had to be excited to see me if he decided to go out like this," Serena jokes, attempting to fix his hair.

Ash pouts playfully and she can't help but find it adorable. "C'mon, give me a break. It doesn't cooperate sometimes," he explains and smoothly lets his hand fall to her waist to pull her closer, letting their eyes meet. "But maybe I did just want to see you that badly."

One glimpse of her ignites his eyes and the heat of his gaze has her in a trance, melting certain parts of her body. It causes her to want to feel him and walk through flames just to feel his warmth. She adjusts her hands in his hair, neither of them realizing when they started to lean in while her lips parted. It was to the point of being able to feel the other breathing as their faces got closer to each other's.

Suddenly, Serena realizes their position and gasps, pushing herself away from him regardless of the pool of desire in her system. She looks at Ash staring at her and it seems like he couldn't believe what had happened either.

"I'm so sorry. We shouldn't have-" she begins, but he interrupts her.

"It's fine, Serena. Don't worry about that," he says sincerely and she thinks it's untruthful, seeing there's something hiding behind his eyes. "Sawyer will come around in a moment with breakfast and he'll take you to get your things."

Serena has a question on her lips, but gets cut off by the sound of metal hissing by. In the blink of an eye, there's a sharp dagger that Ash has caught between his pointer and middle finger just inches in front of his face. Serena whirls around from the source and she hears Ash sigh, but the sight shocks her.

It's a woman, blue short haired one to be exact, wearing a blue fitted dress with a slit up its thigh to shown off the holster of a gun strapped to her leg.

"Miette, did it not occur to you that it's early in the morning?" Ash deadpans as he then begins to twirl the blade between his calloused fingers, the sharp edge gleaming in his deft hands.

"Oh, it most certainly has. Although, I was worried you gotten soft, cuzzo," Miette comments back almost boredly before changing into an airily taunt above a pool of temptation. "First Dawn, now her? I'd say you have a knack for playing hero if I didn't know any better."

With a flick of a wrist, Ash sends the dagger flying back while Miette catches it easily as if they were playing catch with a baseball.

"And you have a knack for getting on my nerves daily, especially with that cousin nickname," Ash resorts, rolling his eyes. Despite not actually being cousins, the two have gotten close to being like a pair of one. "Since you've decided to come bother me once more, are you and Sawyer ready?"

"Get over it already. We're like cousins and it sounds nice." Miette snorts a laugh. "Also I don't remember signing up to become some babysitter."

That gives the green light for Serena to scoff, folding her arms across her chest. "Is the baby in the room with us right now because I honestly don't need you to take care of me."

"Oh, please, it would take less than five minutes tops for Giovanni's snakes to swallow you if you came across them," Miette challenges with a smug smile.