Part XXIV: Change for Manipulation

"The best way to destroy your enemies is to make them adopt your worldview"

~ Bangambiki Habyarimana, The Great Pearl of Wisdom

The halls were dark and empty. The workers were there, each completing a task, but none seemed alive. Daria's death had not affected many workers, for very few had truly met her (most feared her past nature). Despite their thoughts, they missed the production she brought to the Ministry. Having not been there in the past meeting had allowed Klaus Antono to influence the rest of the International Confederation of Wizards. Although Voldemort worked to take hold of Britain, it was evident he had wizards inside the most powerful Ministries. The Antono family did not have roots that trace themselves back to Grindelwald, but their affiliations were suspected. Without Daria defending Britain's ideals, Antono took it to his hands to obliviate her progress in one meeting.

Courtroom 342 hosted Lupin v Pettigrew, where Remus sat expectantly in the chair at the center of the large room. For this case — although highly scandalized by Rita Skeeter — Avery had been appointed. The Minister had been pulled to Germany's Ministry last minute. Lennox frowned upon the idea of having someone like him as the overall judge of the trial, but he could not put in a request for change, so in regard to this issue, his opinion was invalid. Most of the front row of pink had a scowl on their faces, almost all, becoming aware of their wands. The opposite side of the room almost completely clashed with the Wizengamot pink, having many wizards in dark attire, almost to symbolize the death of the convicts' freedom.

Remus wished he could sink into his chair. As Lennox began to introduce the case and state it, he felt all eyes on him. He couldn't look down, for if he did, he'd seem guilty; looking up made it worse, for the dementors above reminded him that the only thing keeping him safe from the grim future was Amelia Bones' Patronus; and if he dared look in front of him, to the man sitting comfortably near him, he would find a way to kill him for daring betray his family.

Avery made sure to question Lennox as much as he could, allowing Remus to explain his side of the story once more, up until Pettigrew was given time to speak. The man was nervous. A blind mouse could see it. He would slouch, constantly play with his hands, and stumble on his words to the point Avery had to ask him to take some time to collect his thoughts. Remus knew many saw this, but he wondered if they had also caught on to the smaller details, how his eyes would often shift to Bellatrix (more rigid, collected, unusually well kept), or how his head would drop whenever he looked at specific members in the crowd.

"Yes, well although this is very enlightening," began Avery, going over the transcript of Pettigrew's testimony, "why did you hide, Mr. Pettigrew?"

"I feared for my life... Remus and S-Sirius, they followed me, they planned to kill me for knowing what they did.. so when they came to kill me, I ran."

"To hide?"

"Yes. The ministry would have sided with them for working here."

Remus' hand balled to fist. Sirius, forced to stand at the very back with four Aurors by him, all wands ready, bit his tongue until he felt his teeth begin to penetrate it. But they had someone to speak for them, and Lennox knew what he was doing. He chuckled and waited until Avery gave him the floor, which was not long. He shook his head, muttering, "'The guilty will always toss the rock and hide the hand.' One of my wife's favorite sayings... Mr. Pettigrew, the guilt was already on Black when the Potters disappeared. Lupin is a dark creature, the finger was already pointed at him. There was no reason to hide— if you were innocent." Lennox turned his attention to the Wizengamont. "Let us know that Mr. Pettigrew was found hiding in a family's house as an animangi — the animangi represent your true nature. Pettigrew is a rat."