chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

It's not like I can't do anything with Maverick. There are no rules or policies against it. However, ethically, it doesn't look good. I should have been more careful about it.

Since then, I've been trying to avoid being alone with Elijah simply because he makes me uncomfortable. But today, as I sit in one of the spare rooms, working on my research paper for one of my classes, gathering as much medical information as possible, it seems Elijah has found me.

"Ms. Nicholson," he clears his throat and closes the door. I pinch my eyes shut with an exasperated sigh before I close my laptop in my lap, the files on the desk, and glance toward him.

He's wearing his usual checkered button-up shirt, and his dark hair is slicked back while he slips his hands into the pockets of his khakis.

"Dr. Cassidy."

I shiver when his gaze roams down my fitted floral dress, oversized sweater, and thigh-high socks with my ankle boots. The only sliver of skin I'm genuinely showing is the gap between my socks and the hem of my dress, which is currently covered by my laptop. Yet, the feel of his gaze on me feels dirty. It never has the same effect as when Maverick does it.

I shudder, hating the creepy sensation that settles over me. I imagine it's the same feeling as a bunch of spiders crawling over me.

"You've been missing out on your required hours for a few days." His lips curve up into a smirk, the corner turning up mischievously.

I glare at him from under my dark lashes, "I'm not working with you anymore. Didn't you get an email from my advisor?"

He hums, lifting his hand to rub his chin like he's considering my words, "Must not have seen it."

"That's not my problem. You're no longer my supervisor." I grab my tote bag and slide my laptop into it before looping it over my shoulder, "Now, if you'll excuse me." I turn my back to him, filing away the folders before brushing past him.

But he reaches for me, and I quickly sidestep out of his grasp, "Don't touch me. You're one comment or touch away from me filing a harassment complaint against you."

He chuckles as if the mere idea of a complaint is nothing but a nuisance to him. I rear my head back, making me question his casualness for the matter. He shouldn't be indifferent about it unless he's been through this before.

My eyes widen at the sudden thought.

It would explain why he's unbothered by the threat. It might explain how easy this is for him, how he could approach me without worry.

Disgust crawls up my spine.

"I don't think you want to do that." He studies me with a glint in his eye. I cross my arms over my chest, stepping away from him and keeping a healthy distance.

The last thing I'll allow him to do is intimidate me. He may have gotten away with it before, but I'm diligent in ensuring Jenny, my academic advisor, knows what happens between us.

"And why is that?" I grit.

He bows his head, chuckling, "Because you don't want what you're doing with Maverick Parker to come out."

That's what he's threatening me with? Did he think I was ashamed of sleeping with someone, for being open and outwardly sexual? I let out an exasperated laugh that bellows from low in my belly, "We're both consenting adults, asshole. There's nothing wrong with what we're doing. And you can't shame me for that."

"Are you sure?" He cocks his head, and I get the feeling that I'm missing something.

My smile instantly falls from my face, "Yes."