I Can't Save Him On My Own

Start from the beginning

"We don't," the other voice said again. "But we have to hope it works, otherwise we're all dead. We were meant to be on watch that night. He got away because of us. We're lucky we weren't killed on the spot."

They were quiet for a while.

"Fuck, I hope this works."

Liam felt heavy, and he was out again.

Scott made his way quickly from the car, running into the house. He pushed the door open and frantically scanned the room. When he did he saw Isaac leaning against the wall. He was biting the side of his hand anxiously, tears falling slowly from his eyes.

'Isaac," he said quietly, and his eyes shot up to meet Scott's from where they were trained on the floor. Scott made his way quickly over to him and pulled him into a hug. Isaac just sobbed.

The others made their way into the house. They looked at Isaac with concern. Stiles walked over and gently rested a hand on his shoulder.

"We'll find him," he said reassuringly.

Derek was far more interested in the scene in front of them. If he was being honest he thought Isaac was being a little extreme with his description of the scene, but he entirely understood the brothers' worry. There was a small circle of blood on the cushions of the couch. And drops of blood lead to the back door, which was left slightly open.

"They were here," is all he said, he knew the others would understand.

'Who?" Isaac asked, his voice cracked.

The others all stayed silent, avoiding the boy's eyes, favoring the floor.

"Listen," he said, tears still pouring from his eyes, "I don't need more people in my life who I can't trust. Who the hell was here?"

"You should just tell him, Scott," Derek was still examining the scene, "They're involved now, whether they want to be or not."

"Tell me what?" Isaac looked at Scott.

"I'll explain everything," Scott held Isaac's face in his hands, "But can we go to another room, let them look around more?" He just nodded and they made their way upstairs.

They sat down on Isaac's bed, and Scott wiped the tears from his eyes.

"I-I don't really know where to start," He said honestly. Every time anyone else has found out about him, it just sort of happened. His mom just saw him when he was shifted. And Stiles sort of knew when he did. He never had to explain it, not like this.

"Just start from the beginning then. If this has something to do with Liam I want to know," Isaac offered.

"Yeah, okay. So about two years ago, Stiles and I were walking through the woods," he paused," looking for half of a dead body." Once the words left his mouth it was like the flood gates had opened. He told him about Peter, about the bite. How scared he was in the beginning. When the word 'werewolf' left his mouth he felt his voice shake. He watched the expression on Isaac's face as he said it. But there was nothing there, he stayed stoic.

"We think this other werewolf. The one from the woods, it might have something to do with this. Derek was trying to find him, but he couldn't. And these other hunters. They're probably a part of it too. We just don't know how yet.'

They were both quiet for a minute. Scott watched Isaac's face. It felt like forever before anything changed. But when it did, he felt confusion wash over him. Isaac looked... relieved?

"I- oh my god." His voice was quiet, but it was laced with so many emotions, that Scott couldn't quiet which one was the strongest.

"I can't tell what you're feeling," he said honestly.

"I just- I mean it's crazy, yeah, but I know when people are lying to me. And I can tell that you aren't. I just-" Scott waited for him to finish his sentence, but he wasn't quite ready for the answer, "I think it could be worse."

Scott looked even more confused now. "What do you mean? I don't want to freak you out, but if the other wolf does have him, well, we're pretty strong. The hunters have weapons too."

Isaac hesitated before the words left his mouth, "I thought it was my dad."

"I- I thought you said your parents were dead."

"My mom is." he said, "She died about 10 years ago, but... my dad's still alive."

"Then why did you lie? And where the hell is he?" Scott watched as Isaac stiffened, his nerves growing stronger. "Sorry if you don't wanna-"

"No, it's fine. I just- we've never told anyone so. I'm not sure where to start." Isaac frowned.

Scott gave him a soft, comforting smile, "From the beginning," he said.

He couldn't take them on his own. He wasn't stupid. But the idea of asking them for help terrified him.

But not quite as much as the idea of losing him.

Scott listened to Isaac's words carefully. He held his hand when Isaac started talking about the first time his dad hit him. How confused and scared he was. He told him about how they didn't feel like they could tell anyone, that it would just come back to hurt them later. He reached slowly into his pocket and pulled out a small wooden object that he handed to Scott. The small wooden wolf that he carried with him everywhere. He laughed a little at the irony in the whole situation. Scott tried not to let the worry and the anger rising steadily in his body out. He wanted to beat the ever-loving shit out of that man. Whether it was Isaac and Liam he was abusing or someone else. No one deserves that. No one at all.

"That's why we moved here. To get away from it all." Isaac looked at the figure fondly, "It's also why I called you. We can't tell the police. If they make a report about it he'll find it. I know he will. When I walked in I thought he'd done this. It seemed plausible at the time, but I guess there was more to it than I thought."

Scott pulled Isaac into a hug, "Thank you for trusting me."

Isaac just hugged him tighter, "Thank you for being honest with me"

They stayed like that for a few minutes before they heard a noise downstairs, and Stiles yelled, "Guys, get down here!"

His voice sounded urgent, and they moved quickly.

When they rounded the bottom of the stairs Isaac froze. Derek looked... different, to say the least. He had claws, and sharp canines, and his eyes glowed. He stood momentarily in shock before his eyes landed on the stranger standing in his kitchen.

His hands raised in surrender. I seemingly stoic look on his face, but Isaac could see the fear in his eyes, the panic. His clothing looked worn and old, but he looked physically clean.

"Who the hell is this?" Isaac finally said.

"You know the wolf Liam's been hanging out with?" Derek didn't need to say anymore.

Isaac was surprised of course, but there was some hope that this guy knew something they didn't.

The boy opened his mouth, seemingly to speak, before breaking into a coughing fit. He hunched over slightly, and that's when Isaac noticed the blood on the back of his shirt.

"I-" His voice came out scratchy and dry, "I know... where he is." he finally got out.

They all knew what he meant, there was no need to elaborate. Derek let his claws retract, his face returning to normal. Isaac let the wave of hope overtake him.

The boy coughed again before speaking once more, "I can't save him on my own."