Upstate

"Dinner is ready, Alexander!" Eliza's voice rang me out of my writing induced stupor. One more sentence, one more sentence was all my mind could think as I dipped my pen into the smooth inky darkness that would take over my mind for hours on end.

My quill slid across the cream paper, trails of ink forming words. The foundation of our country, written in blood, and set in stone. Each thought I put into words a guarantee to be something amazing once strung together in a tangible format. A financial plan because the credit for this country is nothing but forgotten promises.

"Alex! It's our son's birthday! You have to come eat." The words were almost desperate. She couldn't understand the cost of not finishing this and that- that was a problem. I couldn't eat dinner, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't through away our family's last hope for a fulfilling life. "Alex. Now."  I swear on the god I no longer believe in after everything that has happened, colder words have never been spoken. 

"I'm coming my love." I finally said, setting down my quill for the first time in over six hours. My hand was cramping badly but it was fine, it was worth it if it let me build up a perfect legacy for us. I was doing this for us. Our family is what matters most.

I stepped down the stairs, exhausted. When was the last time I slept? Last... Tuesday? That seemed plausible. As if reading my mind Eliza said "When was the last time you slept for more than an hour?" I shrugged off the question and nearly died at the pure joy on my precious sons face after seeing me come down stairs- or you know what? I might have been because of the presents. Yep, it was definitely because of the gifts.

"Hi dad!" Philip chirped merrily from the table where he was nearly shaking with excitement at the fore mentioned pile of presents nearby. "Hi Pip!" I said, hiding the tiredness which crept over me. "How is my birthday boy?" 

"I'm so excited to open my presents." He said excitedly yet reproachfully. "Mom hasn't let me open even one!" He opened his eyes wide with annoyance and astonishment.

"Well, we wanted to wait for your father." Eliza interjected smugly. "Ah, well I really have to get this plan to congress." I replied ruefully. "It seems like you never see us anymore!" My seven year old daughter, Angelica, nicknamed Ana as not to cause confusion with her aunt. "I know, I'm sorry." I said truthfully and she beamed. 

My kids are so easily pleased (A/N as I was writing this I honestly couldn't think of a better way to put this and I just cringed internally the whole time.) if only politicians were like them. My plan would probably already be approved and they would see how well it would shape this country! 

I grabbed a plate and loaded it up with succulent steak, mashed potatoes, and wild greens along with a heavily buttered roll. "It's fine!" Pip said excitedly "Ma, you said that you had a surprise for us at dinner!" 

"I do!" then came the words that changed my life and I wouldn't take them back if I could because it led me to this mess yet I love him and I wouldn't change loving him. The whole world could know and judge and it wouldn't change how I feel. "We are going upstate!" I dropped my fork as Pip jumped up in joy. "Really?!" He gasped "Yay!" Ana said happily in her seven year old way of not really understanding what was going on.

"I cannot go, Eliza" I breathed. "I cannot take a trip just on whim. I have work to do and I am sure that if I do not finish the work I will be fired." She glared at me "You must come. It's for us! You barely leave the office so if you lose your job? It does not matter because that job barely makes money and you found better work as a lawyer anyways. You have to take a break sometimes and if they can't understand that they don't deserve you." 

Then teasingly she said, "Angelica is coming as well and we both know how much you miss her." I refrained from rolling my eyes but just barely. Eliza had long since encouraged a flirtation between me and Angelica as a joke but I truly only loved Eliza- then. That would change once he once again walked into my life.