22. escaping hawkins lab

Start from the beginning

Maddie only stopped pacing and picking at her nails when Will began lightly sobbing. "I'm sorry." Joyce perked up at that, looking at her son worriedly. "What? What do you mean, sweetie?"

Will turned towards her as he continued to sob. "He made me do it." Joyce moved to hover over her son, trying to comfort him. "Who? Who made you do what?" Maddie looked over at Mike, wondering if he was thinking what she was thinking. She hoped not, because what she was thinking was not good.

Wills face went hard. "I told you. They upset him. They shouldn't have done that. They shouldn't have upset him." Maddies hand went over her mouth because Will was in fact talking about what she thought he was and now people were probably going to die. Mikes head shot up. "The spy." Will continued to sob.

"The spy!" Mike yelled before dashing out of the room. Maddie followed after him quickly, she had no idea if Hopper had gone into the tunnels again and did not want a possibility of losing him again.

Maddie and Mike rammed themselves into the guards, who instantly tried to stop them from getting through the doors to the main lab. "We need to get through! It's a trap!" Mike screamed. "Let us in!" Maddie yelled at the same time. "Hopper!"

"It's a trap! We need to warn them. It's a trap!" Mike screamed again as Bob wrapped his arms around the boy. He grabbed Maddie as well, forcing the girl away from the door.

"Let me go! My— Hopper is in there! We need to get them all out!" Maddie screamed. Bob forced the kids against the wall, looking at them seriously. "Stop, please! Just talk to us." Maddie looked at the man as he looked between the two worriedly but before she or Mike could say anything, an alarm started to blare throughout the whole lab.

"What the hell?" Bob wondered as he looked up at the flashing light. Mike frowned. "We're too late." Bob turned his attention to Mike. "What?"

"We're too late!" Mike just yelled, getting out of Bobs grasp and grabbing Maddies hand before pulling her back into Wills room. Bob ran after the two and they stopped in front of Joyce, who stood up worriedly. "What's going on?"

"We're under attack." Mike responded. Joyce looked at him confused. "What? What do you mean "we're under attack?" Maddie shot a glance towards Will, who was now staring at his friends as if they'd never met. "We need to get out of here, now."

Mike nodded in agreement before his eyes shot down to a needle. He grabbed it and held it up. "We need to make Will sleep." Joyce looked at the boy shocked. "What?" Mike frowned. "He's a spy. If he knows where we are, so does the shadow monster."

"He's lying!" Will yelled instantly. "He killed those soldiers. He'll kill us, too!" Mike continued and Will began screaming his head off and thrashing around. "He's lying! He's lying! He's lying! He's lying! He's lying!"

Maddie found her hand was over her mouth once more as she watched Will, trying to cover up the noise of her sobs as she watched her best friend disappear.

Gunshots rang from somewhere else in the building and Bobs head shot up. "Those are gunshots!" Will just continued to scream. "He's lying! He's lying!" Joyce held Will down. "Okay, Will, Will, listen, listen. Do you know who I am?"

Will stared at Joyce angrily as she shook him a bit. "Do you know who I am?" His body shook a bit on its own as he answered. "You're... you're... you're mom." Joyce's lip quivered a bit before she looked at Bob. "Hold him down."

Bob wrapped his arms around Will, who instantly started fighting it. "No! No! Let go! No! No! Let me go! Let go! No, let me go!" Joyce cried as she grabbed the needle, putting it by Wills arm. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Mike held his hands over his ears to try and keep from hearing Wills screams as Maddies hand stayed over her mouth but she turned her back away from the thrashing boy, tears streaming down her face as she listened to his pleas.