Sleep is for the weak (Stretching Lamplighter x Reader)

Not requested. 

Art is by g004 on Tumblr!

I'm back from the dead to offer another chapter! I'm sorry for these long hiatuses, but I'll try to make a schedule for each upcoming one shot. Requests are still open to those who want me to write on a certain character for them. Please go on the request page and leave a comment :)    

A tired lamplighter refuses to go to sleep despite your incessant pleading.

Key things: 

(Y/N) is your name. 

All of the spirits in the Little Prince season are nameless. The chains around their bodies prevent them from knowing much about their past, including their names. Only events that surrounds and explains their emote. They're basically bound to their role. 

Enjoy!

~~~~~

'Do not go to sleep.'

Those five words repeated like a metronome pounding in the crevices of his brain so he wouldn't forget.  The lamplighter grunted as he pulled on the switch to the turn the massive lantern off. He out a tired breath and sat down for a little break. He took off his hat, revealing his disheveled white locks and tired eyes that had big, black eyebags under them. His clothes were all matted and dirty like he hasn't showered in weeks.  

He stood up and stretched his arms and back and winced once he heard a crack. Sighing in relief, he gently rubbed the a spot on his lower back. The lamplighter noticed the lantern off and that was his cue to turn it back on. As he stared, his eyelids began to drop down sleepily and his head tilted to the side. However he remembered his job and jolted awake from the trap known as sleep. The lamplighter walked back to the switch, the clanking from his chains following his steps. 

And then continued to do his tiresome work. The lamplighter knew that his job was important, but sleep...

Sleep was a very nice word to his ears. Sleep sounded really good about now. Sleep was what he craved every night when he needed to turn that stupid lamp on. 

Oh sleep. And for Bird's sake, he wanted that so bad. 

'No. You need to work. You HAVE to work...'  The words boomed loudly inside his head, from that little voice that wouldn't shut up. The lamplighter wished he could drown that little voice in the darkest abyss, but it was right. He had to work. Despite how dumb it is, it was his job, and he couldn't abandon his job right? 

The lantern was turned on again. This time you had noticed. 

You were currently doing a candle run around the desert, until you saw the giant lamp's light flickered on. You frowned in realization, knowing exactly who was working there. So you flew right to the landmark. Once you made your landing, you saw your partner working his spiritual butt off hard again by turning the lantern off. 

You worried for him, really. He's been doing this job for what? A hundred years or so? And he still didn't get any sleep. You loved him with all of your heart, but he can be so stubborn when it comes to his employment. You had practically begged him last week to take a long nap from work and he promised. And you find him breaking that promise doing the one thing you asked him not to do. You sighed and walked over to him, arms crossed with a glare accompanying it. 

"Ahem." You cleared your throat to grab his attention, and it worked. He squeaked in surprise and let go of the switch. He turned to you. 

"Oh, hi (Y/N). What brings you he-" The lamplighter stopped at mid-yawn when he saw your displeasure. It took him several seconds to understand why you look so upset. He gulped. 

"Ok. I know I said I would sleep, but hear me out-"

"Hear you out? HEAR YOU OUT?" You almost yelled,  which made him back up a bit. "I told you to get sleep. And I find you working again? You promised to me! We both swore on it!" 

"I'm sorry (Y/N)! But it's still my job!" The lamplighter argued and started working. Again. 

You clasped your hands together and took a deep breath. "Look. All I'm saying is that you need a break. You haven't had shut-eye for a long time. You could die from exhaustion!" You tried to reason with the lamplighter, but he wasn't having it. 

"(Y/N), I'm already dead. I can't die a second time." He said curtly, pulling on the giant switch. 

You groaned in frustration at his stubbornness. You felt so done with his excuses and decided that enough was enough. If he wasn't going go to sleep, you'll make him. As the switch was about to turn the lantern off, you tackled the lamplighter to ground. He yelled and groaned at the impact of the hard floor. Soon he was trapped in your arms, placed in a headlock. Although you would never hurt him, so it was in a gentle manner. 

"(Y/N)! Let me go this instant! I NEED TO DO WORK..!" He struggled to wiggle his way out of your grasp, but since his energy was depleted by the lack of sleep, he was too weak to fight back. "No! You need sleep, and you need it NOW." He still struggled and you sighed. "Please. If not for me, do it for yourself! I can't bear to see you work another sleepless night. Exhausted everyday. Please, love?" 

The lamplighter slowed his scuffle and laid in your arms, huffing and puffing. He felt bad that he lied to you about the promise. And dang, did he want to sleep. Sleep for many nights without his job nagging him. "Ok...will it make you happy if I slept?" He groggily asked. You smiled. "Very. It will make you happy too." You moved your arms and the lamplighter shifted his position to be more comfortable. You took off his hat and one hand gently ruffled it. His breathing was slow and steady, his body felt like it could finally rest. He was happy. His eyes fluttered closed and slept. 

"I will never understand why do you this job. It's ridiculous."

"Hey, I get payed."

"Yeah, with only 12 candles a month!" 

"Y'know for someone you wants me to go to sleep, you're being quite hypocritical right now."

"Alright, I'll leave you to your slumber." You gave him a goodnight kiss and both of you slept for the rest of the time there. 

~~~~~

Getting a little sleepy from writing this chapter-

Hope you liked today's chapter! Leave a request if you want to see more!   

(1106 words)