PROLOGUE

***

SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

The fire blazed hot as the two females walked through the building.

"Fire Department, call out!" Amalia Nitsch said as she looked around the building.

"Halstead, I'm not seeing anyone!" She yelled and Elaine nodded and spoke, looking back at her bestfriend who wore her jacket, the last name HALSTEAD printed out in reflective yellow

"Same! We gotta check the basement!" She said and Amalia nodded and walked to the basement and opened it, seeing some flames around the stairs.

"Fire Department, call out!" She said and no one answered.

"If this was a 20 call they would have better luck!" She said, causing Elaine to laugh at her making fun of another firehouse. Elaine walked over to where the table in the living room was and spoke, seeing some powder along the wall.

"Hey Amalia, look what I found!" She said and when she turned her head, she saw a hooded figure push Amalia down stairs and into the fire. 

"AMALIA!" Elaine screamed out, watching the offender get away. Elaine grabbed her radio and keyed into it.

"MAYDAY, MAYDAY, firefighter down. I repeat, firefighter down. Amalia was thrown into the fire!" She said and she went to go down the stairs but the fire blazed hotter and higher, causing Elaine's suit to catch on fire. Another firefighter came in and jumped on Elaine to get the fire out, but saw it reached to her skin.

"WE HAVE TO LEAVE!" The firefighter said and Elaine shook her head, tears falling from her face because of the pain and greif.

"NO! I CAN'T LEAVE HER!" She yelled and before she could say anything else, she was hauled out of the buring building and she collasped on the floor, her vision going dark.