Blurb & publication details

"An undiscovered masterpiece of historical fiction"

Google Books

Eastern Europe: Early Middle Ages. The nomad warrior Bardiya must flee from the evil empire of the Mongol-like Tugars and their ruthless Kagan. He receives hospitality from the sedentary Slavic Drevich people; but fears that they also might succumb to the might of the Tugar empire. Will he be able to convince them of their danger and teach them the skills necessary to defeat their new enemy?

This book was first published in 1967 by Hutchison & Co., and has been out of print until now. It is due to be reprinted in March 2013.

About the author.:

R.F. Tapsell was born in 1936, in Croydon, Surrey.

> He wrote three historical novels (Shadow of Wings, The Unholy Pilgrim and The Year of the Horsetails) He was the editor of a single non-fiction book on royal dynasties: Monarchs, Rulers, Dynasties and Kingdoms of the World.

> During his National Service in the RAF he was trained as a Russian Language interpreter. He later worked in military intelligence, specializing in Eastern Europe. In 1963 he graduated in History from the School of Slavonic and East European Studies at London University.

> In 1964 he married Shirley Joan Fussell at Walton, Stafford. He traveled extensively in Western Europe, the Balkans, Egypt and Iraq.

> He worked at the University of East Anglia and emigrated to Australia in 1974. He returned to the United Kingdom in 1982 where he died in April 1984.

> He was survived by his widow Shirley and two sons.