Eighteen - Sacrifice

He was never going to see you again.

You weren't the first person to ever care for Loki, and you weren't the first person Loki had ever cared for. You weren't the first person to show him kindness or forgiving.

But you were the first person that Loki would sacrifice himself for. Because, as far as Loki knew, you were the only person who would do the same for him.

Besides, it wasn't a big deal. It was just a friend doing something nice for a friend. He was paying you back for your kindness. He wasn't giving his life for you - just his freedom and general wellbeing. Not a big deal at all. Still, he deemed all the safety precautions a little unnecessary. He had already sworn to his brother and his friends on the (heavily guarded) ride there that no harm would come to them.

He would surrender to Asgard willingly, give up his ridiculous mission, and live out the rest of his days in the cell he was always meant for. He hadn't told the heroes about his intentions. He hadn't told them the truth, and he didn't plan on it. He had given up on that long ago. His new task was fulfilled.

You would be safe without him. With him gone, you would be out of trouble. Everybody would be happy.

You would be happy, and he would never see you again.

Not everybody would be happy. But he could get close enough. At least, close enough for him. Because you would be happy.

He was in love with you, and if his disappearance was what it took for you to be satisfied, then so be it.