第41章 - Undercover

Start from the beginning

"That's right, especially since not even Tengen-sama is able to watch what I do due to my innate ability's effect on barriers that's heightened by Tsuki for some unknown reason. We're going to take out old-fashioned surveillance methods this way along with any barrier spying since that would eliminate a large list of people."

"It's unlikely that the traitor is surveying all of Japan but certain areas or people." Yuta realized. Satoru nodded his head and downed the rest of his juice.

"Bingo!" The white-haired man chirped happily. He tilted his head downwards so his sky-blue eyes peeked out of his dark sunglasses. They glinted under the bright sun as he made eye contact with his dear daughter whose face remained passive, in thought, over the task she'd have to take on when she returned to Japan.

"So why don't we delay telling everyone that you're back for a while, Hiyori-chan? We've got a mole and we'll use your return as an opportunity to snuff them out!" Satoru smirked, making a show of crushing the cup in his hand. Yuta assumed that the cup was meant to represent whoever the mole was. Hiyori hummed in response, playing with her necklace while going through the different outcomes of this plan in her head.

"I have to stay hidden but Tsuki doesn't. She'll scout the area and a select few will be informed of Tsuki's return to Japan to narrow down the suspect pool more. It'd also narrow down exactly who this mole is following. This would also make it more believable if traces of my cursed energy, though unlikely, were found anywhere since it can be easily be brushed off as Tsuki's since no one other than the people in this room right now knows that Tsuki doesn't leave any cursed energy residuals. Besides, there's no way they wouldn't be able to find out she's in Japan if she's scouting so we might as well make it known to avoid suspicion if someone does see her."

"Sounds like a plan!"

"This is really giving me a sense of deja vu..." Tsuki's pale yellow eyes glanced around at the familiar street. From the traffic signs to the small convenience store with rickety old wind chimes hanging at the door, not much had changed in this neighborhood since the last time they were here nearly a decade ago.

Hiyori chuckled. "We haven't been back here since that day. It's kind of nice to see that nothing's really changed. Small but not small enough that everyone knows everyone else. The type of neighborhood Kazuha always liked." She adjusted the black cap she wore over her dark hair.

"No I mean it feels like we're lost again. Hiyori, are we lost?" Tsuki asked, earning a small innocent smile from Hiyori. Tsuki sighed like a middle-aged salaryman who just took a long swig of beer after a long day at the office.

"But yea,  I remember all those times we had to come all the way out here just because you wanted to see Yuta again before that day. Ah...to think the two of you would end up together in the end." Hiyori chuckled, playing with the bracelet on her wrist.

"Fate sure works in mysterious ways" Tsuki mused, the words leaving her mouth before she realized what she said aloud. The sudden shift in the atmosphere immediately make her fur prick up and the realization of what she just said sank in. Her pale yellow eyes took a peek at Hiyori's face and Tsuki immediately stiffened upon seeing the dangerous closed-eyed smile on Hiyori's face that oozed malice.

"My bad..."

"It's alright. Besides, isn't the point of us being here to see if there really is such thing as fate?" Hiyori replied, smiling good-naturedly before her phone pinged from a new text notification. She fished her phone out of her trousers and opened it to see a bunch of new messages from the group chat she had with the other second years. To say they were a little surprised by her earlier message was an understatement.