Twelve

The Sun began its decent behind the mountains guarding the valley, marking a whole day of fighting. The blood soaked ground shimmered under the dying light of the sun.

Bokuto heaved a heavy sigh. He's so, so tired. Throughout the whol day, he'd only had an hours rest, less than every one of his soldiers.

They were winning, but as the casualties increased, he wasn't sure how much longer they could keep this up. Washio had been hit pretty hard in the head, and as far as Bokuto was aware, still out cold. Kuroo gained a nasty cut on his shoulder. And as for Bokuto himself, he'd taken an arrow to the arm.

Akaashi stood about twenty feet behind Bokuto, trying to catch his breath for just a moment. Bokut smiled fondly. The prince was doing well.

Bokuto stepped out of the path of an arrow and through a knife in the direction of it's archer. The soldier was hit square in the chest and fell to the ground.

Another soldier charged towards him, causing Bokuto to let out a groan of annoyance before getting into a sword fight. Once again, the guard was victorious.

The enemy army was on its last legs, and while his side was tired, Bokuto's army greatly surpassed the other in numbers. "Good," Bokuto muttered to himself. He watched as enemy soldiers retreated, not wanting to get into a fight with him.

Just as Bokuto was about to make an order for his soldiers, he noticed an enemy thrust his sword forward into open air.

Bokuto's eyes widened as he realized what was happening. The sword left the soldiers hand and flew across the field, aimed at Akaashi, who had his back turned.

He had no other choice. Akaashi was too far away. He wouldn't be able to reach him in time. But the sword...

Bokuto didn't hesitate as he ran into the swords path.

He let out a strangled, choking sound as the sword embedded into his stomach.

Kuroo, who'd been advancing towards the soldier, screamed in rage when he saw what happened. Moments later, the enemy was nothing more than a headless corpse.

Panting, Bokuto fell to the ground. His hands trembled as he made an attempt to cover the wound, as pointless as it was.

When Akaashi heard Kuroo's scream his whipped around and stared in horror at what was before him. It was only a moment before the prince was at his guard's side.

As his vision blurred, Bokuto tried to focus on Akaashi's face. On the bright green eyes now overflowing with tears. Bokuto winced as a searing pain moved throughout his stomach, and his whole body trembled.

"Bokuto," Akaashi whispered. "You're gonna be okay."

Bokuto forced a smile. "Didn't... Tell you... Not t-to turn... Your back?"

Akaashi laughed through his tears. "You did. I'm sorry." He gazed down at Bokuto and brushed his hair out of his face. "Thank you for saving me. I was so stupid."

Bokuto couldn't help the tears that rolled down his face. "Don't." He couldn't let his friend... His more than friend, blame himself. "Not your fa-fault."

The prince wiped at his tears. "Alright, alright. It's not my fault. I'm... I'm going to take the sword out now."

"Akaashi-"

"We can't carry you to the medical area with that sticking out."

"... We?"

Kuroo appeared next to Akaashi, tears rolling down his face as well. "Yes we, you dumbass." He grabbed a cloth and pressed it against Bokuto's stomach, making him wince again. "I'm sorry, but we have to. Hold that there as tight as you can."

Bokuto was barely able to nod his head. "Kaash..." He tried to look at the prince, but it hurt too much to angle his head again. Akaashi understood though, as he grabbed Bokuto's hand and squeezed it hard.

"You'll be okay. I'm right here," He soothed as Kuroo pulled out the sword. Bokuto let out a sob as it was removed, and the two men at his side did their best to comfort him.

Carefully, they picked Bokuto up and ran through the field. Bokuto watched as the cloth he clutched to his stomach turned red.

~

As they entered the medical camp, Kuroo scanned the area.

"KENMA!" Kuroo shouted with such desperation that his betrothed appeared instantly.

"What's wro-" He stopped as he took in a bleeding, near-unconsious Bokuto. "Get him in here now."

Akaashi and Kuroo did as he said and carried Bokuto into the biggest tent. When they sat him down, he made a sound that shattered Akaashi's heart.

Instantly, Kenma and the most experienced medics got to work on Bokuto. Akaashi couldn't watch as they flushed out his wound and started stitching him up.

There was so much blood and gore, and the pained expression on Bokuto's face made the prince turn away.

He and Kuroo sat in silence as they worked on their friend, who was now unconscious. Akaashi stared at the trail of blood left by his guard.

"Fuck." Kuroo's voice broke as he whispered. He ran his shaky hands through his messy hair. "I saw what was going to happen... I wasn't fast enough."

Akaashi shook his head. "He did it to save me. It's my..." Akaashi paused. He promised Bokuto he wouldn't think it was his fault. "There's nothing either of us could have done."

"Stop talking like he's dead," Kenma said as he sat down next to Kuroo. He grabbed his lover's shaky hands and looked at both of them. "He should be fine. There's no guarantee, but... They got him stitched up and stopped the bleeding. Gave him some herbs and that stuff." Kenma paused as he ran his freehand over his face. "Bokuto is strong. He'll... He'll pull through. He's brave."

Akaashi and Kuroo both nodded. It's true, after all. Bokuto is the strongest person they know.

~

Hours later, the battle finally ended. Akaashi and Kuroo had gone out to command part of the army in Bokuto's place, following the plans he'd written out. And it paid off. They won, and watched as the last of the enemy soldiers were taken into custody.

Now, Akaashi sat next to Bokuto in an empty tent. He still hadn't waken up, but his breathing was good.

Tears fell down Akaashi's face as he gripped Bokuto's hands. He leaned his head down against the guard's shoulder.

"Hey. We won." It was hard to get out words. "Your amazing plan saved us. And you saved me twice today." He paused, hoping to see some movement from Bokuto. There was nothing.

"Remember the promise you made to me before we left?" Akaashi whispered sadly. "We were in that room that only we know about, and you said you'd take me to another place. Somewhere only we know... So we can have multiple places like that. For different moods. You were so proud of yourself for thinking about that." Akaashi gripped Bokuto's hands harder as a sob burst out of him. "You promised me. And you promised you'd nevereave me. So you better wake up. You've never broken a promise before. You can't start now."

Akaashi took a deep breath and wiped at his tears. He looked Bokuto up and down. The guard looked so peaceful, looking at him you wouldn't be able to tell how much pain he'd been in before he passed out, or how much he'd be in when he finally awoke. Akaashi hated it. It almost made him look dead.

His stomach twisted. No, he's not dead. And he won't die.

Akaashi continued to watch the man before him, praying for some sign that he'd wake up soon. That he'd be okay. He needed him to be okay, because...

"I love you, Bokuto."