Nine

Bokuto stared at the muddy, snow flecked field before him. Fires crackled all around as the sun set and the cold settled in.

Three weeks after the ball, it had finally happened. The guard had been called away from the palace to fight on the battlefront.

He smiled as the prince emerged from his tent and came to stand next to him. At least Akaashi had been sent away too.

"Bokuto?"

"Hm?"

Akaashi grabbed his guard's hand and looked up at him. "Are you nervous about tomorrow?"

"If I'm being honest? I'm terrified."

Releasing a tight breath, Akaashi's brows raised. "Are you worried you'll get hurt?"

At that, Bokuto laughed. "Course not!" Bokuto's grin faltered, and he took on a serious tone. "I'm afraid of messing up. If I mess up, people will get hurt. We could lose the battle, and even the war. And you... " No. He wouldn't think about that. Just the thought of it made him sick.

Akaashi grabbed Bokuto's face in his hands and kissed him. It wasn't like their previous, quick kissed. This one was deeper, and almost desperate. When they parted, both of them were teary eyed.

"Listen to me, Bokuto. You making a mistake will not doom this kingdom."

"But I'm a general of our second largest unit. If I make a bad call-"

"You won't. You may be goofy, and loud, and a pain, but you are smart. Smarter than you realize. You've been studying battle strategies since you were five, and at eighteen you've become one of the strongest guards in this kingdom."

Akaashi paused and turned to face the camp, where soldiers were getting ready for the night, waving at Bokuto as they passed.

"See those soldiers? Many of them are your age. Even more are older. And every single one of them looks up to you. Every one of them respects you. I do. And all of us will be there for you. We will support you and have your back. You make a stupid decision? We'll tell you no. You make a smart one? We'll follow you and do everything in our power to help."

Bokuto shook as tears slid down his face. "Akaashi..." When he paused, the prince wiped away Bokuto's tears and smiled kindly at him. "Thank you."

He pulled Akaashi into a tight hug. "I won't let you down."

"I know you won't."