"Lekin-"

"Amma."

The rough voice sounded eerily familiar. Zaahira didn't bother looking at him, having an idea of what his expressions might be of.

Ruqayyah looked away from the young female and towards her son. Her eyes held a defeated aura and Dilawar never had been punched so hard in the guts.

He was against this too but a mother was capable of making anything possible.

Gently gripping Ruqayyah's upper arms, he offered her an assuring look and said in the most calm and collected tone.

"Amma, aap jaye abba ko dekhe. Mujhe Zaahira se kuch baat karni hai."

The one addressed had to dig the soles of her feet on the ground to not sprint away. She kept her lips sealed, afraid that a violent 'no' would be blurted out without her permission.

Ruqayyah seemed hesitant, more so with an inkling of fear but knowing her son, she gave a firm pat on his shoulder and left with a last look towards Zaahira.

Dilawar waited for his mother to be out of sight and once she was, he turned towards the woman who had unintentionally moved his life to a different orbit.

Zaahira avoided her gaze from him, moving them from the soft carpet to the walls and again to the carpet. Goodness, when had it all turned so awkward?

Dilawar cleared his throat and put on a neutral face. His gaze assessed Zaahira once, taking in her fumbling fingers and nervous eyes. He felt his lips begging to be pulled into a smile but he knew it wasn't the time.

"Amma ne baat kar li?"

A scowl appeared on her face on sensing the casual tone in his voice. Looking up from her feet, she narrowed her eyes at him and gave a curt nod in reply.

"Aur tumne mana kar diya."

It wasn't a question, but rather a statement. Zaahira felt her tense muscles relaxing a little, knowing well that he must have the same thoughts. Shrugging lightly, she nodded again even though he already knew the answer.

"Lekin Dada jaan tumhe yaha se bina tumhara nikah karwaye nahi jaane denge."

Cold air swept the air, enveloping Zaahira without her consent. The fear of what he was applying to made fury rage through her veins and before she knew, Zaahira was glaring holes at him.

"Dara rahe hai mujhe?"

She crossed her arms across the torso, a posture of defense. Raising an eyebrow at him, Zaahira almost smacked his head when she saw amusement lurking behind the cocoa brown eyes.

Coughing a few times, he cleared his throat and shook his head. A subtle smile lingered on his lips before fading in the shadows as he stared at the woman in front of him.

"Nahi, bas ek mashwara dena chahta tha. Angrezi mein, a proposition."

Zaahira uncrossed her arms and tilted her head a little. Her eyes squinted as she took in his expressions as she repeated his words,

"A proposition? Aur woh kya hai?"

"Baat seedhi si hai, nikah na tumhe karna hai, na mujhe, lekin humari sunne wala is waqt koi nahi hai. Agar kaho, toh nikah kar hi lete hai."

"KYA?!"

She screeched loudly at his obvious tone. Dilawar winced at the sheer sharpness in her voice, rubbing the edge of his ears slightly, he gave her an annoyed scowl.

"Pura toh suno ladki."

He scolded lightly, earning a sheepish smile from the female. Rolling his eyes, he leaned in a little and watched as she leaned back. Biting back another smile, he gave her a serious look and glanced over his shoulder to make sure there were no unwanted ears around.