After he left the shop, he walked to the stable to retrieve his horse and ride back to the Henderson's. He changed clothes and dressed for the evening. It was still early, but Ridge felt determined to get it over with and be done with the whole affair.

When he arrived, the butler welcomed him into the house, and then he showed him into the parlor where the Johnsons were enjoying drinks before dinner.

"Oh Ridge, it is so nice to see you," said Mrs. Johnson. "Let me tell Josie you are here."

"Good evening, son. Can I get you a drink?"

"No, sir. I won't be staying."

Josie rushed into the room, thrilled to see Ridge. She was oh-so-apologetic for her behavior and chattered nervously at him.

"Josie, I need to speak to you in private."

"Yes, of course," said her father. Then Mr. and Mrs. Johnson left the parlor, leaving the two of them alone. Ridge paced as he searched for the right words.

"Josie, I am leaving tomorrow morning to move back to the Thanturnum Estate."

"What about your job?"

"I have accepted a position with Mr. Henderson that only requires me to be in York four times a year. The rest of the time, I will work for my father."

"What about me? I thought we planned to stay in York. I have so many invitations to events that I have already accepted for us."

"Josie, I am calling off the engagement. I am not marrying you."

"What? No Ridge, please, we can make it work. I promise I will behave."

"No, Josie. Please understand I am not made to live in the city and work behind a desk with endless paperwork. You are not ready to be a wife."

Josie turned into a shrew and screamed at him as he left the room. She followed him with sobs and anger as she threw a massive fit. Her parents rushed into the foyer as Ridge put on his cape and hat in preparation to leave.

"Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, thank you for your kindness you have shown me. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I am calling off the engagement."

Mrs. Johnson gasped at the news and tried comforting her daughter, who was inconsolable as she cried. Ridge turned to leave, and Josie's father stopped him.

"Wait, Ridge. Josie, stand up and stop the theatrics."

She rose from the chair and stood with her mother's arm around her.

"Hand me the ring."

"No. It's mine. He gave it to me."

"The engagement is off. Return the ring," said her father.

"It will only remind you of what never will be," said her mother as the last words turned into a sob.

She dashed from the room, not wanting Ridge to see her cry. Josie twisted the ring from her finger and reluctantly gave it to her father. Then she fled from the foyer, crying for her mother. They left the two men standing at the front door.

"Thank you, Ridge, for opening my eyes. My daughter is not ready to be married, and that is our fault. We have spoiled her all her life, and that is going to change before I agree to another proposal."

"Well, I wish you luck, sir," said Ridge as he heard the crying continue.

He handed the ring to Ridge, who slipped into an inside vest pocket. The men said their goodbyes and shook hands with no hard feelings. Ridge mounted his horse and rode with exhilaration to the Henderson's. He was a free man.