9. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Start from the beginning

What alarmed him wasn't the fact that she was crying, but the fact that there were trees that had been uprooted and were floating around her did startle him quite a bit. Not to mention, the ground still shook with every few steps he took.

"Excuse me, miss?" Past Marc called out. "Are- Are you okay?"

When the young woman averted her gaze from her lap to look at Past Marc, Steven gasped. In front of him sat Juno, his Juno, but a much different version then from his most recent memories. The bags under her eyes were as dark as black eyeshadow and her once lively eyes were now bottomless pits of emptiness. 

Past Juno quirked a brow, looked around the floating shrubbery around her, and shrugged. "I've been better," she responded. "Are you stalking me?"

"What?" Past Marc wondered. "No, of course not!"

"Then why are you bothering to make conversation in a fucking graveyard? Do you have no friends?"

"Look, we're not here to talk about me! I'm here to ask if you're aware of the fact that there's trees floating all around you."

Once again, Past Juno glanced up, and shrugged. "I'm aware, I just don't really give a shit."

Past Marc knew this woman wasn't alright. No one had this indifferent attitude in regards to being in a graveyard, and if they did, they were bullshitting themselves. 

Carefully, he approached the woman, and after a moment of her not moving, he sat down next to her. Past Marc glanced at the grave.

Lewis Barlowe
In our hearts forever
Loving father, husband, and son.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Past Marc muttered.

Past Juno nodded. "Thank you."

There was a faint buzzing, causing Past Marc to turn his head to the source of the noise. He located a phone near his spot in the grass. He reached for it and tried to make out the words that were sprawled out underneath the cracked screen.

INCOMING CALL FROM:
Matty ❤️
ACCEPT     DECLINE

"Is this your phone?" Past Marc asked, holding the object out to her.

"Yep," Past Juno said.

"You wanna answer it?"

"Nope."

"Why not? Is it your boyfriend?"

"No, it's my friend, Matt. He's gonna want to talk about my feelings and how my dad wouldn't have wanted me to act like this and blah, blah, blah. How my dad wouldn't want me to be angry." Past Juno inhaled, and turned to look at Marc. "But what if I want to be angry? What if I want to lash out?"

"What happened to your dad, if I'm allowed to ask?"

"Cancer's a bitch." Past Juno bitterly laughed. "You know, there's billionaires that create suits of armour to fly around in, there's a scientist that can turn into a giant-ass ogre when he's mad, and there's a guy who survived being frozen for nearly seventy years, yet there's not a cure- Or at least an effective treatment for cancer? It's fucking bullshit."

"So- So you're taking your frustration out on some trees?"

"Well, it's either trees or bad guys." Past Juno once again looked at Marc, her eyes latching onto the tear-stains that coated his cheeks. "Thank you."