Chapter 1: Rowan Lost

I'm flying, then falling. Flying then falling. Jumbled in with plastic containers, I'm in someone's arms. And I'm tiny! Small enough to fit comfortably in their grasp as they run with me. My head is peeking over their shoulders, and I can see a small village fading from sight behind us, slowly being encased in a light orange bubble. It looked familiar...but it can't be. I'm sure I've never seen it before. Maybe Father has told me of it? I don't know, but I long for it. Then, it fades from sight and all that's left is the grey potholed surface of the moon.

 I wake in a cold sweat, still thinking about my dream, the details already going hazy. I sit up and glance out the small hole that serves as a window in my room. I'm late for my morning chores! Quickly, hopping out of bed, I pull on an old pair of thick-soled sneakers as I race into the kitchen. There, I find father making breakfast, generally my job.

 He smiles at me, "Don't worry about today, Rowan, it's my turn to make a meal for you, just like when you were little." I sit down, remaining on the edge of my seat. Is something wrong? He doesn't have to break the news gently, I'm tough. I can handle it. Or maybe, he's making me leave! He can't do that, this has always been my life! The village from my dream drifts to mind, its familiarity. Maybe this isn't the only life, but it's the only life that matters. I rack my brain for more reasons, but all that comes to mind are more terrible situations. I guess I'll just have to ask Father.

  "Father, is there any special reason for this. . .change of positions?" He just smiles quietly again, and brings me a plate with a stack of waffles, my favorite. I don't begin digging in, as I normally do, but give him a 'look'. 

 "Don't you know what day it is?" he exclaims as I shake my head, confused, "You may go anywhere you like, for it's your fourteenth birthday! I think. . ." he mutters the last part, so I barely hear him. He gazes at me with adoration, so despite my hatred of birthdays, I put on a show.

 "Oh, Father! Anywhere? Well, hmm. I've always wanted to see. . ." I hesitate, scared of what he'll think. We live solitarily, on the dark side of the moon, our accommodations but an old house. Father is very protective of me and rarely lets me go anywhere, so I've always been curious of the place he seems most stubborn about.

  He's looking at me expectantly, so I sigh heavily and decide to ask and receive my no. "The light side of the moon? I had a dream last night of a village there! I know it sounds crazy but. . ." I glance up from my feet then to see all the blood has drained from his face. I knew he was certain in his decision, but isn't this excessive? His wild blue eyes look at me, his long grey hair slipping slightly as he bends forwards, staring intently at me.

  "What happened in this. . .dream of yours?" he says slowly, leaning even closer across the table. 

 A little frightened to tell the truth, I start babbling, wondering what's going on. "Well, uh, you see, it was just a dream and I'm sure it was nothing, but I was a little girl again and someone was carrying me, running in fact. And I saw behind us this village surrounded in an orange bubble, and it sounds crazy, I know but the village looked so familiar, like I knew it, and had been there. Absolutely insane, right? Right Father?" And as I looked at his face, I started to doubt everything, but I knew one thing for sure: Father, who never lied, was hiding something from me.