𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 33

✍︎ CHAPTER THIRTYTREE ✍︎
THE NIGHT VILLAGE
ICEMOON AND STARFLIGHT ARRIVED AT THE NIGHTWING village still being held by Morrowseer. "Why didn't you save our friends?" The hybrid dragonet snarled as they were set down. Starflight stood silent by her side while the bigger dragon's scornful eyes looked like icy blue ones. "Because little hybrid," Morrowseer started and flicked his tail toward them. "You and Starflight, as you call him, are important. I need to learn you the way of the Nightwings, though, I see." He rumbled.

"You've gotten your powers, have you not?" He asked IceMoon as he started to lead them into the village. IceMoon was receiving curious glances from the other nightwings, but some were of hate. Starflight was looming at his friend, knowing LG that she had those Powers. "Yes, I do. What about it?" The hybrid spat her neck spikes bristled. Morrowseer snorted, amused, and spread his star-speckled wings "you'll learn soon enough, mighty hybrid," he said and took off. IceMoon and Starflight glanced at each other, debating whether they should follow the only one who maybe could have the answers to all this.

Or if they should stay where they were. "Let's follow him," Starflight suggested, and his friend shrugged, not seeing any better opinion. So the two Nightwing dragonets spread their wings and took off after Morrowseer, who was waiting in the air for them.

I hope he holds answers, IceMoon thought. And we will get to know why he took us and not our friends.

✍︎ TIME SKIP ✍︎

PERIL STOPPED, AND IT WAS LIKE every emotion in the world hit her face at the same time. "I should have guessed," she said curios and low so only Clay could hear, "the only dragon here who can touch me. No wonder she wanted me to stay away from you and IceMoon" "I guess you should have," Clay hissed, and Peril flinched. "There you go, Peril," queen Scarlet said behind her Tsunami was dragged onto the balcony wrapped in chains and glowing in anger, "that's the dragon you have to kill before I set your mother free. Have fun!"

Peril slid toward Clay, and he fled to the opposite wall. The fire scale hesitated, then put on a burst of speed and changed after him. He waited until she was a heartbeat away, then lunged forward and body-slammed her. The cro f roared with surprise and delight. Peril lay there gasping as Clay got up and ran to the other side of the arena again. She's not used to her opponents being able to hit back,  IceMoon's voice said. Fiery heat blazed where his shoulder had touched her, but it faded quickly.

He turned to the wall and crouched, waiting for her to get up. Slowly she rolled to her feet and paced toward him. This time she dropped a short distance away. "I'm sorry," she said plaintively, "I know you're mad. I made a mistake. I thought the hybrid was trying to get away from me," Clay snorted, and his jealous side showed into the light. "Well, we would've if you didn't betray us. And just so you know, IceMoon defended you against Tsunami. You owe her our freedom," Peril sighed. "I don't want to kill you. I know that IceMoon isn't going to forgive me for that. I see how you look at her."

Peril clawed at the sand in frustration. "But you have to," the Mudwing finished for the fire scale. I hope I will survive, so I see IceMoon again,  he thought.

✍︎ TIME SKIP ✍︎

PERIL SNARLED SUDDENLY. "I'm her friend. I'm all she needs!" She leaped at Clay's head, and the mudwing shoved himself upward, throwing her over him and into the wall. He was across the arena again when she crawled to her feet "she'll stick with the friends who aren't trying to kill her, I know that," he called. "I'm not—well—" Peril stamped her talons again.

"It's not fair! You and the others can have any dragon! I only want her!" Her wings snapped open, and she leaped up and dove at him with her claws outstretched. Clay snatched a talonful of sand and threw it in her eyes. She shrieked and blundered sideways in the air. Clay leaped to grab her shoulders and flung her to the ground. He rolled her into her back and sat on her, looking down into her face.

"I know I don't know much about anything," he said, "but I think she doesn't want it to work like this. I mean killing me." "It does," Peril said, struggling to push him off. Her talons shoved ineffectually at him. "Dragons kill each other all the time. In the war, in here, anywhere. For no reason at all. That's how we are. Especially you and me. She is too. We're the same. We're dangerous," Clay sighed "that's not how I am. And I know that's not how IceMoon is," Clay said, "no matter what happened when she and I hatched. I can't feel this killer inside me that's supposed to be there. Maybe that's what the prophecy is about. Maybe the dragonets are supposed to show everyone how to get along without a lot of killing."

He noticed that the closet dragons in the audience were leaning in, listening intently. He hadn't been speaking for the whole stadium to hear, but at least a few had. fortunately, Queen Scarlet wasn't among them. "Hurry up and do it then," she called from her balcony. "You have her at your mercy. Use your venom! That was thrilling, and I didn't even get to see it the first time!"

Clay and Peril stared at each other for a moment. Clay heard the confused buzzing of IceMoon. But she was silent. "Did she just say what u think she said?" He asked, "but if the venom didn't come to form her," Peril said, " then where—" Clay whipped around to face the balcony as Glory suddenly reared up in a blaze of sunflower gold and cobalt blue, the very same color to the hybrid dragonet. The Rainwing snqpp3d her thin chain like a reed and launched herself off the marble tree. Her mouth was open wide hundred like a snake's.

She hissed, and a jet of black liquid shot out of her two longest fangs. Burn shoved Queen Scarlet in front of her and shot into the sky. Glory's venom hit Scarlet on the side of her face. The Sky wing queen began to scream.

✍︎