Chapter 10

I sit in my armchair for at least a few hours, watching people pass down on the street through the small window. The analog clock hung up on the wall ticks incessantly, but it's somehow calming with what had happened today.

I can't believe that I didn't realize it sooner.

Honestly, it's kind of funny in hindsight. If the hints given to me were bricks, then I had ran face-first into a wall.

I look up at the face of the clock, reading the hours and minutes.

4:03.

My joints crack when I pull myself out of my chair, groaning from the prolonged immobility. My brain, however, can only think of what I could be missing from my phone, which I had decided was definitively out of commission.

Sophia must be back from her date by now.

Maybe I should head to the dorms and check on her. She must have been blowing up my phone by now.

"Date." I mutter, stretching my arms over my head.

My eyes flit over to the calendar pinned on my fridge. The 29th was circled in bright, red ink. I really can't remember why, but it seems important.

It takes only a few paces to make it back to the entrance of my apartment, stepping over my discarded schoolbag and shoes with disdain.

There's a rack of more appropriate footwear to my right, and I'm quick to pull a pair off, smiling to myself.

"You, my friend," I say to the sneakers in my hand, "are practically blister proof!"

I grab my keys and a small bag off of the key rack next to the door, stuffing my wallet and appropriate items in it. It feels uncomfortably light without my small plastic device that practically holds my life.

If living without my phone for a day feels like my life is being ruined, I'm going to have some harsh realizations about the real world.

_ _ _ _ _

On another note, living without Leaky Eye Luca is more freeing than I would like to admit. If I'm being real, I couldn't care less where he went, as long as the asshole isn't here to harass me and Sophia.

It may be the lack of distractions, or my ultra-comfortable shoes, possibly the combination of both, but I make it to the two dorm buildings in record time. This isn't my usual route, as it's in the complete opposite direction of the campus, but I'd become fairly acquainted with the layout after I had met my friends last term.

Despite being late in the afternoon, the sun was still shining brightly in the sky. It's a beautiful day outside, like most days here, and the people around showed it. The plaza was crawling with people, some wearing their uniforms with bags strapped to their bodies, coming home from school.

Others, notably the full team of soccer players that lay strewn across the grass, were less than happy.

I notice a familiar face in the homogenous mess of blue and black striped uniforms.

Salvatore, a boy who I've spoken to on a few occasions when our world studies professor had gone completely off the rocker, sat up, a frown indenting his face.

"Hey, Sal! Uh, what...happened?"

"Giovanni 'happened'," he said, brows furrowing in scorn, "we were making a human pyramid to take a team picture, but Marcus isn't here, so there was no one to press the shutter button."

"Oh, then Marcus didn't show up for practice today?" I ask.

Maybe the date went badly.

"No, I haven't seen him all day. Then, Giorno walks past-"