Chapter 5

"So, how does it taste?"

The group of men crowd around me, staring at the food on my plate. A waiter had brought out my dish, the sweet fish from the other day, and it was my job to see if it lived up to its name.

I bring the fork up to my mouth, quickly taking a bite of the meat and chewing.

"It tastes..." I swallow, "kind of like watermelon!"

Narancia pushed himself up from the table. "I want to try some!"

I laugh, nodding my head.

He takes no time to walk around the table, instead craning over the tabletop and taking a big piece with his fork. He hurriedly stuffs it in his mouth, grinning as the taste fell on his tongue.

"It does!" he assures, mouth still full of food.

Fugo sends a disapproving glance his way (one that he takes no notice of).

"No way, you've got to be lying." Mista retorted.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Were you not the one who brought up this fish in the first place?" I ask.

He scoffs, "Well, yeah," Mista sticks his nose up, "but when they said that there was a fish that tasted better than anything you've ever tasted, watermelon was not what I expected!"

"You can try it if you want." I cut off a piece, holding my fork up for him to use. "Why would I lie about what a fish tastes like?"

Mista nods and reaches out his hand to take the fork from me. Suddenly, a mop of black hair breaks through the space between us.

One moment I'm holding out the fork for Mista to eat, and the next I've got a small raven-haired boy attached by the mouth to my utensil, looking up at me with a sense of achievement.

"Hey! What the fuck was that for?!"

He giggles, pulling off. "Sorry, Mista!"

I can only laugh with him.

"You know, you kind of looked like a fish right there for a second." I prodded.

He huffed as his face turned red.

Abbacchio chortled, almost spitting his tea back into his cup.

"You're such a cheat!"

Mista accuses Narancia, which instantaneously perks the boy up. He stands, knocking his chair to the floor.

Mista is unwavering, simply glaring down at him as Narancia scowls, reaching into his pocket.

"Narancia, no!"

I look behind me to the man from earlier, who's evidently just entered the room. "I leave for thirty minutes and you've already done what I've strictly forbid you from doing!" he condemns him.

Narancia bites the inside of his cheek.

"Mista, I expected better from you."

My eyes darted around the room, eventually locking with Abbacchio, who had pushed his headphones back.

He raised his eyebrows at me.

My cheeks puffed as I tried to hold in a laugh. I quickly covered my mouth with my hand, muffling the stream of air that flowed out.

The man that Fugo called Bucciarati admonished the two. Narancia's pouting again, looking up at the ceiling childishly like an elementary schooler in detention.

I lean my head towards Fugo, whispering "Well, did you want to try the fish?"

He snorts, shaking his head lightly.

"No, I believe you."

_ _ _ _ _

I look out of the small circular window, cumulus clouds swim though the orange sky.

The orange sky.

"Shit."

Fugo looked up from a large tome. Bucciarati had left with Mista a while ago, leaving us four to bicker amongst ourselves. It wasn't a bad quiet, simply different. It was evident that Mista came up with most of the topics of conversation.

"What?" Fugo asked.

I rake a hand through my hair, "Do you happen to have the time?"

"It's quarter to five."

"Shit!" I groan, banging my head down on the table.

I had lost the time in all of the commotion earlier. School had ended over an hour ago, and better yet, I didn't have my bags.

A high-pitched chirp emitted from my pocket, and I unceremoniously fished my phone from my checkered skirt.

[17 unread messages] the display read. I click in, watching the little envelope icons pop up on the screen. The phone beeps again, and Sofia's name is highlighted in red.

'It's not funny anymore. Text me back now!'

Another chirp.

'Please call me back Y/N. I'm worried.'

The black-haired boy across from me looks at my expression quizzically. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asks.

"I was supposed to be back two hours ago," I respond, "I can't believe that I forgot to go back to class!"

He laughed at me. "It's really not that big of a deal. You didn't even miss an entire day."

"My professor's going to kill me!"

Fugo closed his book, setting it on the table as he stood. "I'll bring you back."

I'm frantically pressing buttons on my phone, typing out a short message to Sofia.

"No, it's okay." I say.

"Really, it's fine." He assures me. Fugo sends a passing glance to Abbacchio, who slumps back into his chair, tuning back into whatever music he had playing from the red headphones.

"...Okay."

I stand up, anxiously brushing my palms against my skirt. Fugo reaches into his pocket, pulling out the car keys he had used before.

Narancia pushes his tea away. "I wanna come too."

"Fine."

The three of us exit the restaurant, Fugo taking the driver's seat in the Audi that waited for us.

"Oh," I mumble, surprised to see the back door open, "thanks, Narancia."

He said nothing, giving me a curt nod before hopping into the passenger seat. Fugo looked back at me for a moment, presumably checking to see if I had buckled, before shifting the gear and pulling onto the street.

I'd just better hope that this won't be another bumpy ride.

_ _ _ _ _

AN: I feel like I need to seriously apologize for leaving this story to the dogs for 5+ months 😭. I'm not sure what had gotten into me,  but I hadn't been able to even finish this chapter. But, due to the (fortunate for you) bug that I caught, I present you the fruits of my 102 degree fever. I'd like to thank all of the readers who left encouraging comments on this story, though I haven't been active, they meant the world to me, and I read all of them. So, this chapter is dedicated to you guys; thank you for believing in me and enjoying my work. I have a few more days before I can get back to school, so I'll hopefully start the next chapter as soon as I post this. Have a great morning/night! 😮‍💨

Chapter 5 goes out to:

giolibi (your comments made me laugh every time I saw them <3 ily)