Chapter 4

I woke up earlier than usual this morning, rising as the sun filtered through my curtains. I don't know why I feel anxious for today, it's not as if I'm going on a date.

It's just someone amending their mistakes. They knocked over my food, so it's only fair that they pay for it, right? Right.

I fiddle with my uniform in the mirror, trying to straighten out the blazer that I had elected to wear. I reach into my armoire, pulling out one of my Christmas gifts.

It's a golden vine brooch. I smile slightly, pining it to my jacket.

With luck, I remembered to eat this morning. The only thing that I could find in the fridge that wasn't frozen was an apple. Speaking of, I need to go grocery shopping soon.

"Will I have time to stop by after school?" I ask myself, checking the time on my phone.

[One Missed Call] the display read. I click on it, and Jotaro's number pops up on the screen. There's an envelope icon next to the name, signifying a message. The timestamp is 1 am.

"I just woke up." Jotaro's deep voice rasps. He tries to continue, but it seems like he's choking on his words. "I'm sorry. I spoke to Jolyne's mother, she says that Jolyne loves you very much. Talk to you later." Jotaro sputtered, and the message was quickly cut off.

I stare at the screen, mouth agape.

"That was out of character," I comment to myself "wonder what he means by 'talk to you later'."

Jotaro rarely calls me at all. Of course, there aren't very many men that I know who talk in a constant state of aggravation, so it's not hard to recognize his voice.

Even rarer is the occasion that Jotaro doesn't call me 'idiot' or 'emotional' for voicing my opinion. Anything that isn't an insult that comes out of his mouth is welcome, in my opinion.

I check myself in the mirror, trying to find anything amiss. Everything seems fine.

As I walk down the stairs, I remember the shiny new calculator that I left on the kitchen counter. When I get to it, I'm disappointed.

"Come on! I hate this type of plastic." I shout out frustratedly.

It's the type of plastic that they package scissors in. The edges are melted together, making it impossible to pry it open with your hands.

I reach for the kitchen scissors and cut, hoping that I don't nick the calculator.

"There you are, motherfucker." I hum, holding it up. "Into the bag you go!" I say as it drops into my school bag, lost in the mess of pens and paper.

My doorbell rings as I'm pulling the bag over my shoulder.

"Coming!" I yell, running to the door. I slip my shoes on, wincing as the back brushes against my heel. It was true, my ankle was almost purple when I pulled my socks off last night.

A fervent knock raps on wood, and I yell once more.

"I'm coming!" I shout, unlocking the door and pulling it open.

Sofia is grinning at me mischievously.

"Morning, Y/N!" she beams.

I step out, shutting the door behind me. "Good morning, Sofia. Hi, Anna." I acknowledge my friend who's standing further back, fiddling with a Gameboy.

She looks up reflexively, and groans loudly as the device emits a sad fanfare.

"Good morning, Y/N." she huffed, shutting down the tiny red box and placing it in her backpack.