Chapter 6

With some light navigation, Fugo had managed to finagle a space to park adjacent to my school's courtyard. The drive there had been lighthearted, the boys in the front bantering about some entertaining story that I had yet to be enlightened of.

But my heart sank in my chest as soon as we were close enough to make out the vague shapes sitting on the park benches. I saw Sophia, tapping her foot anxiously on the pavement, pink decored phone clutched in her hand.

Honestly, I couldn't get out of the car fast enough. I pushed the lock back the moment that the car stopped, waving a shorthanded goodbye to Narancia and Fugo as I sped to the courtyard center.

"Sophia!"

She looked up, worry lines indenting her face.

"I am SO sorry! I lost track of time!"

Sophia was quiet as her face melted into a blank slate.

"Please don't be mad, I promise that it won't happen agai-"

I was cut off as Sophia runs into me, dropping her head onto my shoulder and letting out a small sniffle. "You scared me, Y/N." she cried, "I thought that something happened to you; that you were roofied at lunch, or you were walking back and ran into... him..."

Her voice softened towards the end of her statement, and I softened too. My hand went to her back, rubbing a circle before lightly pushing her off of me. I looked into her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Sophia. You know that I'd never let anything happen to either of us, I just lost track of time, honest to god."

She nodded, pulling away from me fully as she brushed a stray tear from her eye and fixed her skirt, crumpled from fidgeting in worry.

"It's okay."

I looked at her skeptically.

"Seriously, Y/N!" she giggled, already forgetting about her earlier emotions, "Just remember to text me next time if you run late. Napoli is a busy city, especially for a foreign girl."

We stepped over to the bench, where Sophia hauled my schoolbag back to me. It was getting darker, but the sun would still be up by the time that we got to our respective buildings.

"They'd have to kill me before that." I scoff, turning my head back toward the street.

The silver Audi was gone, unsurprisingly. I hadn't expected them to wait for me.

"Come on, we can get lunch together tomorrow."

_ _ _ _ _

The following day is like nothing happened. I wake up late, Sophia bangs on my door, holding a toasted bagel, and we walk with the rest of the pedestrian traffic from the dorms to school.

A normal day, unfortunately, means Leaky Eye Luca in his normal, inconvenient way.

Sophia clings to my arm again, while I push forward, refusing to make any unneeded eye contact with that lowlife pervert.

It looks like it's going to be a good day. Maybe our painstaking tribulations have paid off, and the mafioso's decided that we're not worth his time if we bite.

"Hey, ragazza!"

I guess yesterday was too much of a good day. I glance at Sophia, my mouth turning into a line as to guide her to pretend like nothing's happening.

We're almost to the crosswalk that leads past the airport. The mafioso seems more laid back today. Usually, he'd goad until I was forced to respond, for my dignity or sanity.