Chapter 1: The Beginning Of A Fairytale

Start from the beginning

Glancing down she saw a tattered, old booklet carelessly placed open on her lap, that she'd been reading before she had fallen asleep in the confinement of her bedroom.

The binding had already come loose after repeated use and the thin pages had turned yellow over the years.

Meera traced the handwritten words, the ink slowly fading away, and sighed.

He seemed to be everywhere nowadays, always in her dreams when she couldn't see him in reality.

The book was one a mother had lovingly penned down for her daughter who had been obsessed with fairytales as a child so that she could have a story of her own.

Had her mother known that the story would indeed come to live? That prince she had written about would be around the corner but Meera would come to despise the princess?

Meera exhaled a long, tired breath, bemoaning the loss of her simple childhood, at the advent of a complicated life ahead, on the eve of her birthday.

In her daze she didn't hear the click of her bedroom door.

"Welcome back, Sleeping Beauty."

A loud female voice jostled Meera from her thoughts. She stared at her friend who was already placing the packets of chips that she must've nicked from the kitchen on the bed before climbing in herself.

"When did you come?" asked Meera staring at the clock. There was still a good two hours to the party.

"Just now. Thought we'll start your birthday early," Ahana grinned. "What's that?" She pointed at the object in her hand.

"A story book."

Ahana reached for it and she gingerly placed it in her hands.

Flipping through the pages, Meera watched as Ahana's face changed from interest to boredom as she gave a dramatic shudder. She'd had too much sweetness for the day.

Lastly she said, "A fairytale? Why am I not surprised?"

Meera gave a sheepish smile. "I liked them when I was young."

"You still do," Ahana pointed out.

But did she, really?

Fairytales and the talks of happily ever afters used to give her hope. They were in no way close to reality but little Meera did not know that. Unfortunately she had spent too much time in the real world to ever dream of that again.

"I'm curious," Ahana stated, reclining back. "How do you know the prince is handsome?"

"They always are."

"They could be ugly." Ahana shrugged. "We don't know that."

Meera thought back to her dream and realised with surprise that she had actually never seen his face. Only his eyes were prominent. But they were very pretty.

"I know," Meera said, indignant. "He has the most gorgeous pair of crystal eyes."

"Crystal?" Ahana nodded, almost teasingly, "I suppose they are unique."