Omake: The Hard Path

Start from the beginning

She would heal at a very slow rate, one that would take several centuries unless he sped up his research on constructing advanced technology at the cost of the Honkai catching up.

For now, he'd wait.

Otto felt the weight behind his shoulders increase.

-0-0-0-0-

Centuries passed and the world moved forward, and for Otto, it felt like a blink of an eye when it was finally the 20th century.

He never really aged, he just continued living by transferring his consciousness to another clone of himself that he created every several decades.

Every day he'd continue his studies and advancement in technology, focusing his time on searching for an antidote for the Honkai radiation and fulfilling his responsibilities as Overseer of Schicksal.

One day, he hears news of Berlin engulfed in an explosion and it is when the aftermath comes that he finds a blue-haired boy unconscious in the epicenter of a Honkai explosion.

"He's the first Herrscher. He's like me." The AI within the Void Archives spoke in wonder and glee. Otto however, ignored the AI in favor of setting the unconscious boy.

The scientist side inside him demands the Herrscher to be imprisoned, to be studied and dissected for every discovery to be known. But Otto resists, because right now, what he sees is not a enemy of mankind.

He sees a sleeping child unknowing of the things he had done.

His thoughts turned true, because after several days the Herrscher woke up, confused and panicking as he lay in a hospital bed within the north branch of Schicksal's headquarters.

The boy had no name, but as Otto looked at the shining cobalt eyes, he finds himself gazing at what he could only describe as the World.

"Welt."

The boy blinked confused at the word. "Welt?"

"Welt, german for World. From now on, it will be your name." Otto continued.

"Welt........W...elt....Welt." The boy tested the sound of the name. "I...I think I like it, Mister." A smile of wonder and gratitude was plastered on his face.

A genuine smile....how long has it been since someone smiled at him like that?

It turns out, Welt knew a multitude of languages, mostly European but nonetheless fascinating along with Eidetic memory. After a year of teaching and rehabilitating the young Herrscher, Otto sent him to the Lab 42 institute which was the less chaotic branch of his organization.

They kept close contact and in less than a month, Welt found a friend, a scientist by the name of Einstein, who gave him a surname. Welt Joyce became the man's complete identity.

Two more years pass by and just as Otto thought that the boy would live normally, he was proven wrong.

The Honkai, angered at the first of its messenger failing the task, spawned a wave of Honkai beasts that swarmed New York.

Schicksal's North branch struggles to handle the swarm of Honkai beasts while evacuating the entire city population and just as Otto was doubting whether to set the alarm to zero, he hesitates.

Ironically, it was the best decision he unknowingly made. Because just as New York was about to face its destruction, Welt discovered his powers, and with the use of an unearthed God Key, he saves the entire city from the invasion.

Knowing that Welt had joined the side of mankind, a decision begins to form within his head despite Prometheus' warning to cease.

He just couldn't help it, because he knew that he found someone that could replace him, rid him of his position and end his struggle in aiding mankind while dealing with the empty void within his being.