chapter fifteen

A comfortable silence fell over the two of them, the only noise coming from Grogu who giggled as he played with the soaked ends of Kit's hair. She chuckled softly as she tried to pull her hair free of his grip.

"I'll take him." Din reached out, gently taking the child from her. "I'll give you some privacy to get changed." With the kid in hand, he was about to make his way towards the door when Kit stopped him.

"Wait, just- just turn around. Please?" She asked, her bottom lip tucked between her teeth. She was nervous.

"Okay." Staying right where he was, he turned away so her back was facing her. Behind him, Din heard her stand up, slowly dressing herself. Grogu was fussing in his arms, wanting to be let down, but he quietly scolded the child, wanting to give Kit her privacy as she dressed.

"Done," she said softly.

At her signal, he turned to face her once again. She was dressed in a grey tunic and dark pants, made of similar fabric from her usual clothes, but with a lack of a belt and less form fitting, the clothing hung loose on her body.

Clearing her throat, Kit reached out her arm, reaching for him. Immediately, Din extended out an arm. Her hand holding onto his vambrace, not unlike the time he led her through the market but this time it was different. Her grip was tighter on the beskar, and her steps were a bit more cautious.

"You're gonna have to be my eyes here. I don't have my cane," Kit explained as he led her towards the door.

"I'll see if I can get you a new one."

"Nothing too fancy, a stick about. . . yay high would do?" She held her hand just below her chin. "Shouldn't be too hard, I hope."

They're silent again as Din focused on leading her through the halls of Boba's palace, only speaking to warn her of an incline or of stairs. As he was used to surveying his surroundings as a bounty hunter, he wasn't used to speaking them outloud. It was odd as part of hunting would require him to be silent, not describing the surroundings. But it appeared as if Kit appreciated his effort, smiling and thanking him with each warning.

"Ah glad you could join us, Mando," Boba announced as they entered the dining hall. He sat at the head of the table, Fennec seated to his right, and then his cyborg gang took up most of the remaining seats, leaving just enough for Din's clan of three.

After placing Grogu in a seat, he helped Kit into her chair, pulling it out for her. Once she was seated, only then did Din take his own seat. Din didn't fill his plate, merely helping serve Kit and Grogu beside him. There was already chatter amongst those at the table, not ceasing as they fed themselves. Din could feel the eyes of the various cyborgs shifting between him, Kit, and the child. But none said anything, keeping their mouths stuffed with food and talking only amongst themselves.

"Din?" Kit called for his attention. "Peli, is she alright?"

"She's fine, she left for Mos Eisley this morning."

That was the summarized version of events at least. He didn't want to mention her threatening to take apart the N-1 starfighter if he didn't fess up to Kit. Peli certainly had a soft spot for her, wanting the best for Kit.

She nodded at that, pleased to know that her friend was alright.

The rest of the dinner was pleasant, minus the mess Grogu was making at his seat. The table chuckled at the child's action, playing with his food. Din could barely hear Kit's giggles as he did his best to clean up after Grogu.

Once the meal was complete and everyone was simply conversing amongst themselves, Din felt Kit tap on his hand, asking for a guide to a room, no longer needing to stay in the bacta tank. Excusing themselves from the table, he took Grogu into his arms, and helped lead Kit back up to a spare room he remembered Boba mentioning she could stay in.

She seemed to have somewhat of a better understanding of the layout of Boba's Palace now, remembering some things as they made their way back up towards the rooms. The child endlessly babbled as they walked in comfortable silence, on occasion Kit would entertain his mumbles, nodding and affirming his baby talk. It warmed Din's heart to listen to her and his child speak, only furthering his wants to call Kit his own. To have and to hold her.

Finally, they approached a hallway of rooms. Walking up to a door, Din peaked inside. It didn't appear to be lived in at all, leaving it up for grabs. "Here you go." He pushed the door open further. Kit didn't release her hold on his arm though, hesitant to let go. "Something wrong?"

"Again, no cane. Can't exactly find my way around," she answered nervously.

"Right, uh." He guided her into the room, walking straight towards the bed. "There's nothing in the pathway towards the bed, so it's a straight shot to it. And there is a 'fresher over towards the left of the bed, about 10 paces."

"10 paces, got it," she repeated, smiling as she finally released her grip on his arm, but she didn't step over towards the bed. Her head turned towards him, she raised her hand to her lips, kissing them. Din was quiet as she moved her hand upwards until her fingers grazed along the side of his helmet. "Thank you, Din."

She didn't even kiss him really, but he could feel his skin buzzing as he bid her goodnight.