chapter two

When Din awoke the following morning, he knew he needed to find a job. Something quick and easy. With the repairs and staying at the inn, sure he had enough credits to pay. But now he was paying double for food, he needed a bit extra. However, he knew if he was going to go looking for a job, he couldn't take the kid. Maker knows how much trouble he gets into when Din is around, he can't even begin to think how he'd be unsupervised.

His mind quickly veered over to the Innkeeper. Normally he wouldn't be so trusting of strangers, especially with his child. But, with her being blind, it was less likely that she would try to harm or turn him in for a profit. . . With a sigh, he gathered his things and closed the child's pod again. He walked back out the hallway he was led down the night previous. Back at the front desk, he clicked on the bell again, summoning her.

"Coming!" She called out again, appearing from the back room. "How might I be of service?"

"I need you to watch over this child I'm taking care of."

The Innkeeper's eyebrows raised at the request. "Oh? For what reason?"

"I need to find a job. Can't take him with me, and I can't leave him alone," Din explained curtly. "Can you watch over him until I get back?"

"Well, I don't know if I'm equipped to watch him," she chortled as she waved a hand over her eyes. "But I'll keep him out of trouble. Where is he?"

"He's in a carrier, it will follow you," he said, pushing a few buttons on his vambrace, moving the pram to behind the desk.

"And does this child have a name or shall I call him Mando Jr?"

Din breathed out a laugh at that. "No, he doesn't. He's just. . . the child."

The Innkeeper pursed her lips at that, but shrugged. "Your child. Your business. Take care of your job, Mandalorian. I got him. Just come straight to the back when you're done."

Per the Innkeeper's request, once he returned from a rather exhausting day dealing with a wannabe bounty hunter and a wanted sniper; he returned to the inn, heading directly towards the backroom. Din opened the door to reveal a dimly lit chamber, this must be where she lived. A kitchen took up most of the space. Various pots and pans strung about in easily accessible ranges. There was something on the stove, filling the room with a savory aroma. She must be making dinner. Further into the room, there was a sitting area and a desk which was shoved off to the side, covered in papers. A large hunk of metal sitting beside the abandoned desk. Din frowned beneath the helmet.

A droid.

It was thankfully powered off at the moment, but he kept his eye on it as he continued to glance around the room. There was the door to what he would assume was her bedroom and then just beyond the sitting area was another door outside. Hearing bouts of giggles and laughter, he walked over to it, the door sliding open before him.

In the middle of a small enclosed garden was the Innkeeper, giggling as the child walked around her. Din watched silently as he tried to understand the scene in front of him. She kept turning her head, tilting it to the side as she tried to listen for the child as he tried to walk around her in circles.

"Where did you go, little one?" She asked, her tone playful as she lowered her body to the ground. The Innkeeper's body was facing towards the child, but her face was turned away, as if she knew where the child was, but was purposefully avoiding him to play the game. When the child let out a giggle though, the Innkeeper gave a loud and over dramatic gasp. Her head whipped in the direction of the child, scooping him up into her arms. "I found you!" She announced as she spun around, filling the air with their musical laughter.

Din's heart squeezed at the sight, seeing this woman play with the child. Reminding him of the woman on Sorgan. How she said she would care for the child as if he was her own, only for him to be forced to take him away, due to the bounty that still hung over his poor head. Again, Din knew the child would be safe under the Innkeeper's care, but he couldn't think to put her at risk.