chapter twelve

Kit might not have her sight, but she sure wasn't blind to what was happening to Tatooine with the growing number of Pykes and spice being trafficked through the system over the past few years. She tried to stay out of it, keep her nose to the ground and just keep her inn running, but unfortunately Pykes were also in need of rooms.

Usually it would be just one that would come in and they'd be out in the morning. But lately one became two. And two became four. And four became six. Kit thanked the stars above that they left before they filled up her entire inn, something apparently going down in Mos Espa that they needed to get a handle on. She wanted to throw up as they handed her more credits than she was owed, but she didn't say anything. She just continued giving them a polite smile until they were out of the door.

Stressed out of her mind, Kit closed up the inn, putting up a no vacancy sign at the door. Never before had she thought to close up, even if it was just for the day. But she needed a distraction, so she made her way to Peli's hangar. It was surprisingly quiet for the time of night, but Kit welcomed the quiet. Often it gets overwhelming with so many people around, all the noise and smells. It was rare for her to be able to wander the streets of Mos Eisley with little to no interference.

Upon entering Hangar 3-5 though, it was quite the opposite. Noise filled the bay, a series of bleeps coming from all sorts of droids. Kit could hear Peli laugh and cheer at something as she approached.

"Peli? What's going on?" Kit called out as she got closer to all the noise.

"Guess who's dropped by? It's the kid!"

"What?" She quickened her pace, trying to get close to Peli and the child as quickly as possible. "Grogu? Is that really you?" The familiar sounds of his babbles filled Kit's ears as he was placed in her arms. "What's he doing here?"

"That X-wing over there just dropped him off, the R2 unit says it needs to take him to the Mandalorian." A series of bleeps coming from above were heard. "It's alright! It's alright! Kit helped take care of him when Mando was working!" Peli shouted to the astromech.

Turning her head to the direction of where she hoped the X-win was, Kit called out to the droid. "We'll take him to the Mandalorian, he'll be safe with us." The R2 unit beeped in response before the engines of the plane started, getting ready for take off. Guess that meant it trusted her.

Once the X-wing was gone, Kit heard Peli clap her hands together, dusting them off. "Mando's still in Mos Espa. Do you need a lift there?"

"No, actually I was planning on walking there," she responded sarcastically.

"Haha, funny. Think I have a courier back here or something," Peli muttered to herself as she dug around in her garage. "But it is late, we'll leave when the suns are up."

Giving the engineer a nod, Kit focused all her attention onto Grogu, gently touching his head and ears, wanting to see if he truly was okay. Then she felt something underneath the sweater he always wore (Maker, Din needs to get him some more fresh clothes). Carefully, she placed her hand underneath his collar, the tips of her fingers meeting cool beskar.

"Din gave you the shirt!" She smiled as she rubbed his ears. "I bet you look amazing, all cool just like your papa."

Grogu giggled in response as she felt him grab at her hair.

"Let's get you to bed though, yeah? Bet you're tired from your journey," Kit cooed as she made her way inside Peli's living quarters. She tucked the child into a makeshift bed beside her on Peli's extra bunk, falling fast asleep in a matter of minutes.