“About time!” I answered at last with a wink to Curtis Nelson, Kim’s husband. “Y’all are gonna hafta show me pictures when it’s all done. Alright, now order drinks before my boss gets onto me for senseless chattering.”

  He would, too. My boss wasn’t a jerk or anything; not generally. He was actually pretty cool. But he had his nights, and tonight happened to be one of those nights.

  It seemed like it took forever—with big families, it always does—but once I got everything written down, I excused myself and disappeared into the kitchen.

  “Good Lord it’s a rowdy night!” I heard Lulu exclaim. She was sitting on a stool, fanning herself with a menu.

  “You are absolutely glowin’, gorgeous!” I told her out of spite, lightly slapping her kneecap.

  I didn’t have to turn around to know Lulu’s scowl followed me across the room. “Ha-ha. Someone woke up with her Sarcastic Pants on.”

  “Sweetie, what does that even mean?” I laughed, getting the correct amount of cups. Lulu had been exaggerating. It wasn’t a rowdy night at all—at least not for her. I mean, it was only Tuesday night. We didn’t get much a crowd during the week. For Lulu, though, two tables seating only a couple each seemed like a rowdy night.

  “It means suck it,” was my coworker’s mature reply.

  I turned, giving her a flat look. “Really? What’re you, five.”

  “I do have a kid.”

  “Yeah, but he’s only one. Can he even talk yet?”

  Lulu snorted. “Of course he can talk. Kids these days are born geniuses, you know?”

  Smiling under my breath, I said, “Yeah, I know,” just so she’d shut up. Lulu could go on for hours about her one year old, Chris—and how he, Hunter, and the new baby were going to be BFFs!

  “I’ve got tables to wait—oh, so do you!” I pointed out with a cheeky grin.

  Lulu glanced down at her freshly painted nails. A woman had way too much time on her hands when she has time to paint her nails at work. I would just chalk it up to her pregnancy…if it wasn’t a regular thing for her. “Yeah. Uh-huh. Cover table Creepy for me tonight.”

  Curiously, I glanced out the door window. “Table Creepy, huh?” Sure enough, there he sat; smirking expectedly at me. This was gonna be an even longer night than I thought. “Oh, God, no! Lulu! I am not helping you out on this one!”

  My coworker smirked up at me. “Sure ya are.”

  “But he’s sitting at your table! He didn’t know I was here!” Until now….

  “Oh, honey, he isn’t that bad.”